Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Worst Stadium?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Worst Stadium?
A negative question, but one that needs to be asked. Since another thread here has talked about best stadiums in Japan, I'd like to hear opinions on the worst place(s) to see a game.

Although I go to the Tigers kaimaku-sen ("opening day game") every year at Kyocera Dome, it is just because I miss baseball and out of no affection for the Kyocera Dome. This year I payed more than 5,000 yen for seats behind home plate, but it was one of the most claustrophobic experiences I've had even in Japan. The place just lacks atmosphere and of the 6 or so stadiums I've been to, it's my worst.
Comments
Re: Worst Stadium?
[ Author: Guest: Lotte Fan | Posted: Jun 11, 2008 9:50 PM ]

I have been to Tokyo Dome, Yokohama Stadium, Jingu, Chiba Marine Stadium, and Seibu Dome. I liked all the stadiums, but since I prefer outdoor to indoor, I have to say Tokyo Dome - but I like Tokyo Dome, too.

Yokohama is good because of its steep banks and no fence, so the visibility is very good. In Jingu the fence can be slightly irritating as it is thick and black.

Both Yokoaha and Chiba Marine stadium take 30,000 people. This I find hard to believe as it looks as if Chiba Marine Stadium is much bigger than Yokohama. If Chiba Marine Stadium takes 30,000 then it looks as if Yokohama does not take more than 24,000 at the most or so. I could be wrong though.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 1:05 AM | HT Fan ]

I don't know. Having suffered in the jails of the Minneapolis Metrodome and old Seattle Kingdome (my candidate for hands-down ugliest facilty of all time), I actually enjoyed seeing a game at Kyocera last season. It was a broiling day and the relief of the a.c. probably colored my mind. But the seats were comfortable as I recall, and the food selection pretty nice, the sight-lines terrific, and the Tigers won so I was happy. Sure, it's indoor ball and that always pales in comparison to the outdoor (real) game. But it was by far not the worst indoor experience I've had, and I really was prepared to hate it.

Next year (2009) I'm planning to do an all-stadium trip through Japan, so I'd like to know how others feel about the baseball venues there.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 9:02 AM | HAN Fan ]

Yes, Kyocera Dome has to be the worst.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 9:55 AM ]

I'm looking forward to the new Hiroshima Stadium. I went to a game in Hiroshima this past Golden Week. Although I like the charm of these old, run down stadiums, there were also marks against the stadium - I was stuck in a section where the only food or drink was bad noodles and vending machines (and beer of course). And if you tried to walk through the narrow concourse to even get to the food, you were surrounded by second-hand smoke.

However, Hiroshima is an interesting place to see a game because they actually have nomihadai seats in the upper deck. Well, looking forward to the new stadium anyway.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 5:26 PM ]

Wow, a nomihoudai section!? I didn't know about that. :P

I've never been to Hiroshima Stadium, so I intend on seeing a game there before they start using the new stadium next year (will be the only asymmetrical park in Japan).
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:42 AM | YOK Fan ]

Yokohama Stadium has "nomihodai" seats for select games as well.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 2:46 PM | NIP Fan ]

I've been to games at 11 of the current pro stadiums in Japan (haven't been to Skymark or Yahoo Dome). By far, I think the worst one hands down is the Seibu Dump. It combines the worst parts of indoor (lousy lighting, horrible acoustics) with outdoor (hot and humid or cold and windy). Plus sitting in the outfield "bleachers" is just a terrible experience. The fence completely makes sight lines terrible for most people depending on whether they are standing up or sitting down, and due to it just being slanted ground, with very little traction, I have yet to be at a game where nobody spilled a beer or drink anywhere near me. (And naturally, you don't just spill a beer on yourself, you spill it on everyone else sitting downwards from you.)

I pretty much refuse to go there now except for Fighters games, to be honest.

I thought the Kyocera Dome was just fine, but whatever, maybe I am strange.
[ Author: firearmofmutiny | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 9:30 PM | CD Fan ]

Seibu's the only stadium I can think of that's worse than the Twins' Metrodome. (Which the Twins will leave for a new stadium after the 2009 season.)

And I think the Kyocera Dome is fine, too, but I think that's because I was at an Orix game and basically had a whole section of the lower deck to myself.
[ Author: Guest: Korova | Posted: Jul 1, 2008 2:10 AM ]

That's too bad. I haven't been to Japan in a while but when I lived there, Seibu Kyujo was the best stadium in Japan. I still don't understand why they put the ugly roof on it. The scenery was breathtaking for just an hour train ride from Tokyo. I know what you mean about the bleachers, though.

My vote for worst stadium actually is for a present day stadium, Tokyo Dome, and one from the past, Kawasaki Stadium.
[ Author: sangubashi | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 4:03 PM | TYS Fan ]

The old King Dome was awsome.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 12, 2008 10:24 PM ]

Let's hope they continue the nomihodai ("all you can drink") tradition at the new Hiroshima Stadium! I haven't had the pleasure of buying such tickets, but they do exist. What is even more amazing is that on top of a nomihodai, they actually give you additional drink tickets, which you can use for another game!

I'll keep my eye on the calendar next year so I can go see the Tigers in Hiroshima.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 13, 2008 7:38 AM | HAN Fan ]

I am puzzled why people have problems with fences. These can easily be filtered out and you don't notice them after a while. I notice that most of my Japanese friends also prefer the fences - you can see through them. These are far better than domes or high walls were you do miss action because you cannot see unless you lean over an edge. Hardly a wise action.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jun 13, 2008 8:19 AM | YAK Fan ]

I've only been to 4 different stadiums in Japan so far, and I really can't say any one of them is "bad." I don't particularly like domed stadiums (20+ years of bad memories in the Kingdome like Sara B, although both the Seahawks and M's stinking for that entire time probably has something to do with it), and am eagerly awaiting Japan's first retractable roof stadium.

Seibu Dome does have pretty bad acoustics and isn't visually appealing, but the outfield grass (turf) is a different concept from bleachers, so if you come prepared with a sheet and a nice fluffly bag, you can actually lay down and catch the game.

Although my name is Jingu Bleacher Bum, I don't particularly think of Jingu as a beautiful stadium. It's outdated, the food isn't that good, and there's nothing that really makes it unique, other than the fact that the breeze is awesome on those hot balmy summer nights, with a beer in hand.

Watching baseball almost everyday on TV, I'd have to guess that Kyocera Dome, or possibly Nagoya Dome are two that I probably wouldn't enjoy much. What I remember of Yahoo Dome (Fukuoka Dome at the time) wasn't really a good impression, other than the fact that a small patch of the roof over the outfield opened up after the game.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Jun 13, 2008 3:45 PM ]

Fukuoka Dome is Japan's first retractable roof stadium, but it has all the atmosphere of SkyDome which it might be modelled after. Toronto totally missed the wave building the last multipurpose artificial turf stadium before the retro-modern ballpark trend started with Camden Yards.

Sapporo Dome is actually pretty neat. Probably the best domed stadium in Japan. Due to it's funky shape and weirdly futuristic architecture, it doesn't feel like a typical dome, so that's good, but it still doesn't beat outdoor baseball, obviously (when the weather's good).

I don't have any intentions of visiting Fukuoka, Nagoya, and Osaka Domes though.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 13, 2008 8:34 PM ]

I was pleasantly surprised with the Sapporo Dome. I was a big fan of Sapporo's old Maruyama Kyujo, so I hated the idea of the dome. But it's necessary up north, and it's just great to see the fan base that has sprung up in Sapporo. If I can get tickets, I'm going to Nagoya Dome next month, a place I haven't heard many good things about.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 25, 2008 1:22 PM ]

Here is link to see the progress with the new stadium in Hiroshima (in Japanese).
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 25, 2008 9:06 PM ]

Thanks for the update on the new stadium in Hiroshima. I'm sure it will be an improvement, although I prefer the current downtown location. Any word on whether they will keep the nomihodai seats?
[ Author: Guest: Jiji Fishiguchi | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 6:37 PM ]

I saw several yakyu games in August 2007 at Kyocera, Jingu, Yokohama, Hiroshima, Koshien, and Kawanoe. I love all of them - especially Koshien, Jingu, Kawanoe (for a game of Shikoku Island League), and Hiroshima. I really can't answer where is the worst place.
[ Author: Guest: Number 26 | Posted: Jul 8, 2008 3:24 AM ]

It is the last season for Carp at Hiroshima Civic Stadium. Though I have never been to the stadium, something touched me when I watched this clip of Hiroshima, Hiroshima Carp, and Hiroshima Civic Stadium [YouTube - "Sayonara Hiroshima Shimin Kyujyo (1)]. The pride of Hiroshima. Having had the history of its city, the Carp and the stadium united its citizens. The stadium and team represented the recovery of the city and became the new symbol and pride.

Go Carp!
[ Author: Kamina Ayato | Posted: Jul 8, 2008 3:58 PM | HC Fan ]

Who are you, and why are you mentioning the same things that endeared me to the Carp?!

Joking aside, I kind of like the older stadiums since it is a representation of history. Being in Hiroshima Municipal, sitting in the oen-dan, and hearing the history of the Carp really made me a fan of them - even if they're not that good. (This still cracks me up. Fast forward to 1:30 to see the joke. [Editor's note: I get a 404 Not Found Error])

I've only been to 3 stadiums, Marine Stadium, Hanshin Koushien, and Hiroshima Municipal. Admittedly, since I've been in Koushien more, I guess I can be more critical of it. Standing 6'1" tall, suffice it to say that if I'm not sitting in the green section or in the bleachers, I'm definitely not comfortable. But that's about the only knock I have against it.

As a side note, I also liked the field at Ise-shi watching Koushien qualifying as well.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 8, 2008 10:35 PM | HT Fan ]

As an ultra-sensitive Hanshin fan, may I suggest that you use the correct spelling for Koshien. (Yes, yes, it's a long "O" but the official spelling is Koshien - and what you've written makes my skin crawl.) Sumimasen
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jul 8, 2008 10:45 PM ]

Maybe we need a new posting: best stadiums for people over 6 feet tall! I'm 6 foot as well and usually sit in the Alps at Koshien. On a full night (every night these days), it is quite uncomfortable.

But that is what is so magical about these old stadiums with history, as you mention. Koshien has so many bad points: cramped seating, awful food, toilets I almost have to kneel down to use, smoking section right next to the aforementioned toilets. However, there is still no better feeling in the world than sitting at Koshien on a steamy summer night with a cold beer. It's my favorite stadium and always will be. It's all about atmosphere. That is what most domes lack.
[ Author: Kamina Ayato | Posted: Jul 10, 2008 3:28 AM | HC Fan ]

Sorry about the link. Here it is.

Watching it all is very funny. Otherwise, the particular joke starts at roughly 1:26.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Allen | Posted: Jul 12, 2008 12:51 AM ]

I have never been to Hiroshima and am angling to get down there this summer as soon as the Olympics are over.

My worst has to be Seibu Dome. I used to like baking at Seibu Stadium when it was packed on weekends to see those big games against the Buffaloes 20 years ago. But now, its only value is to keep out the rain. When it is cold outside, it is colder and damper inside. When it is hot outside, the roof creates a heat bubble that prevents the breeze from breaking through and spoiling the sauna effect.

I'm not a fan of Sapporo Dome because of the distance from the field, although like a number of parks, my view is tainted from having a fixed viewpoint and only seeing the games there from the press seats.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jul 12, 2008 6:51 PM ]

I liked the Sapporo Dome more than I expected. But my view was also tainted because I accidentally bought tickets in the Hawks section and ended up with empty seats around me and, thus, plenty of leg room. A rarity in Japanese stadiums. As far as domes go, it could be the best. I don't like Osaka/Kyocera Dome at all and haven't heard many good things about Nagoya Dome or Tokyo Dome.
[ Author: Brad BT | Posted: Jul 17, 2008 6:28 AM | SEI Fan ]

Seibu should just get rid of the roof. I don't have anything aganst domes, but Seibu really screwed up there. They turned a great ballpark into the Japanese version of the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

And as for my favorite, it's Hiroshima Municipal. That place has always reminded me of Fenway Park or Wrigley Field. That stadium, although outdated in some aspects, is full of history and charm. I hope and wish that they keep the stadium open as a baseball museum.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Jul 15, 2008 12:45 AM | YOK Fan ]

Having been to all 13 Pro baseball stadiums in Japan, Koshien is easily the worst when going to see a Tigers game. It really speaks volumes when they're doing a renewal project that is long overdue. Sitting in the Orange Seats last year was easily the worst baseball experience I've ever had at a baseball game. It was worse than being packed in a can of sardines, not to mention that it was extremely dirty and the concessions were terrible and non-existant in the infield area.

But ironically, some of my best baseball experiences were at Koshien watching the high school kids play.

Hopefully, the renewal project will make Koshien a more enjoyable stadium for Tigers games in the near future.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jul 15, 2008 1:07 PM ]

I sat in the orange seats a couple years ago and also found them awful - not only cramped, but also with rows built on weird angles so it's hard to get out. The new ivy seats are quite nice. Plus, the bathrooms are much nicer and, best of all, the smoking room is behind glass, so you don't have to be exposed to smoke while waiting for the bathroom. The food is still awful, but I'm happy buying a reasonably-priced bento outside the stadium.

Unfortunately, the ivy seats have sold like hot cakes this year because of the novelty. Of course a lot of these probably aren't going to the real fans.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 15, 2008 10:07 PM | HT Fan ]

Well, I sat in the "green" seats behind home plate the other night, and I must say that I enjoyed myself immensely. And actually the food is not that bad. I certainly wouldn't call it awful. Pricey, sure, but not awful. Of course, Koshien facilities in general are still basic, but I suppose some of purists might like it that way.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Jul 16, 2008 10:08 AM | YOK Fan ]

The "Green" Seats aren't that bad. I sat in them when I went to Koshien last year for the High School summer tournament. Getting them though is a whole other thread in itself.

And I agree, too, that the food isn't that bad. I've had much worse (Hiroshima). The hot dogs and hamburgers in the outfield are decent, but my favorite food at Koshien will always be "Koshien Curry."

And I can understand why the "purists" might like it, being a Chicago Cubs fan and all. But like Wrigley Field, IMO Koshien Stadium could use a change. It most defenitly won't hurt the experience you know.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:39 AM | YOK Fan ]

No doubt, the renewal project looks nice and I was really impressed when I went to the Spring Koshien Tournament/ Opening Series with Hanshin vs. BayStars (which was at the Kyocera Dome). Maybe next year I'll try my luck with the Ivy Seats, but me being dressed in blue surrounded by Hanshin Fans is not a good feeling.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.