Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Stupid Extra Innings Rule (Olympics)

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Stupid Extra Innings Rule (Olympics)
I had a feeling that "stupid" rule would effect an important/meaningful game. And unfortunately the teams effected were US vs. Japan. I say "meaningful" because it decided what positions they ended in, and what team they will face in the semis.

From a fans perspective, I want to watch a 2006 WBC Finals rematch between Japan and Cuba. And though it is a possibility; I still think the "extra-innings" rule sucks.

I think that Cuba will win the gold medal. But I really would like to see Japan in the final game. I think that would set the tone for the 2009 WBC.
Comments
Re: Stupid Extra Innings Rule (Olympics)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 21, 2008 3:50 PM | YBS Fan ]

Why are so many people hung up on blaming this rule for everything? It's equally annoying to both teams. Hoshino-kantoku needs to just accept that this is the rule for extra innings games and deal with it.

Still, what we should be focusing our attention on is what is wrong with Iwase? He's come into tighter situations than runners at first and second with nobody out (like bases loaded and nobody out) and gotten out of such jams. Taking over a perfect game in the 9th inning of the Nippon Series was a rather high stress outing, yet he pulled through flawlessly. How is it that he let in not only the two "inherited" runners, but also two more? And isn't this his second loss?

Offensively, in the bottom of the inning, why is it that Japan was only able to convert the two free base runners and no more? The U.S. strategy was to put the #8 and #9 batters on base and hit from the top of the order. Japan's strategy was to go with #1 and #2 on base and hit from #3. If you consider that the top batters have a better chance of getting on base, it looks like the U.S. strategy was better. Did Hoshino-kantoku think this out? Or did he just complain about the rule? Don't whine, find a solution!

The extra inning rule is not the problem. Japan's inability to close a game is.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Aug 21, 2008 4:52 PM ]

Both of Iwase's failures during the round robin have been when he pitched more than 1 inning. That said, he's been less effective in NPB this year than in years past, and I don't think he'll be used in traditionally high leverage situations in the semis and medal game.

If Hoshino insists on batting Araki second in the order, then it makes sense to put #1 and #2 hitters on base to start the 11th because Araki is clearly the feeblest hitter on Team Japan (assuming Yano has no chance of starting). But it looks like we might be back to Nishioka-Kawasaki up the middle, though I'm not sure if injury hobbled Kawasaki would actually help defensively if it limits his range.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 21, 2008 4:55 PM ]

I couldn't have said it better myself, Westbaystars-san. Iwase has looked scared and has pitched like a batting practice pitcher during these Olympics. Hoshino has mismanaged this team time and time again. I'll be very surprised if Japan is able to beat Korea.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 21, 2008 6:40 PM ]

As a Japanese, my money is on Korea. Hard for me to say that, but I've lost all confidence in Team Japan. They simply cannot score against good teams and it seems like they have no heart. I see it in their faces. They have no emotion, they didn't come to play.

With that said, I believe the extra innings rule is "stupid," but that's something that's going have to be dealt with.

And lastly, If we're going to blame anyone it's the offense. If you can't score, you won't win. If Japan's offense were to actually score during the 9 innings of shut out ball there wouldn't have been an Iwase sighting.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 21, 2008 11:00 PM ]

I think Japan should just continue to play "small ball"; That is their style and it's effective. They are not scoring because they are trying to out perform their opponents. Just stick with what you do best and it will pay off.

Japan's defense has been the best in the round robin. Allowing only 14 runs (no other team has less then 22 allowed). And I believe their defense is what will carry them to the gold medal game.

I am going out on a limb and say Japan will beat Korea and move on to the finals.
[ Author: Garrett | Posted: Aug 25, 2008 1:52 PM ]

I'm not sure small ball has been serving Japan all that well. I wouldn't be surprised if the US swinging took Iwase by surprise the first time Japan faced them. Surely, he was expecting a bunt, which is exactly what Hoshino would have ordered - bunt, score a run. Heck, bunt again. Then hope Iwase has a miraculous inning.

Even in NPB, the trend has been toward small ball over the past couple of years and it has most teams leaving a lot of runners stranded and many batters in unnecessary high-pressure situations.

Conservative play is OK if it's actually conservative, but what we too often see are unnecessary risks that are unlikely to help win games coupled with a refusal to take risks that could win games.

Trying to eke out tiny wins instead of going with a run-producing strategy and trying to build up a buffer is not even conservative, it's just plain stupid.

I'm with Westbay here - the rule is what it is. It effects every team equally. Heck, it could even favor a small ball team. Hoshino has nothing to complain about but his own ineptitude (and maybe Iwase melting down).
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Aug 21, 2008 10:09 PM | YOK Fan ]

Seriously, Japan could've avoided all this by simply putting up runs. I guess the "biggest names" aren't always the right choices, if you know what I mean.
[ Author: Guest: s21 | Posted: Aug 22, 2008 2:30 PM ]

I'm watching Japan vs. Korea's game, 4-2 again. I hope the result wouldn't be the same as last time.

Wakui is up on the mound...
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 22, 2008 3:39 PM ]

6-2 Korea and Japan will only get the bronze at most.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 22, 2008 4:22 PM ]

This site really needs real time posting. All this delay is a real turn off.

But anyways, Korea won.

And let's seeeee, who lost it for us? Hmm, oh that's right Iwase! What a surprise!

Why on earth did Hoshino bring Iwase in with the game on the line? Did he not learn from before?

And again, like I predicted, the Japanese offense was nowhere to be found.
[ Author: Garrett | Posted: Aug 25, 2008 1:53 PM ]

Hoshino learn?

Thanks, that was funny. I laughed until I cried.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.