Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Chunichi beats Yomiuri, grabs final playoff spot

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Chunichi beats Yomiuri, grabs final playoff spot
Norihiro Nakamura hit a tiebreaking three-run homer off Marc Kroon in the top of the ninth inning as the Chunichi Dragons beat the Yomiuri Giants 4-3 Saturday to earn the third and final postseason spot in the Central League.

[Full Article: http://www.japanball.com/news.phtml?id=13197]
Comments
Re: Chunichi beats Yomiuri, grabs final playoff spot
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 5, 2008 9:13 PM ]

I was really disappointed with the way the Carp folded. I was hoping for some fresh blood in the Climax Series. The Dragons really showed their experience down the stretch after playing mediocre ball for a long time. But it was really great what Marty did with the team after losing their (arguably) two best players.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 6, 2008 2:41 PM | YOK Fan ]

I must first offer my quick congratulations to the Chunichi Dragons for getting it together and claiming the last post-season slot.

But now, and more importantly, I must say shame on you Hiroshima! Me and many others had high hopes and wanted to see them in the mix with Hanshin and Yomiuri. But, they totally dropped the ball on this one. Not to mention the fact that now Hiroshima Shimin won't get one last chance to host post-season play.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 6, 2008 2:48 PM | YOK Fan ]

Going along with tigersredsox, I agree also that Marty did a fantastic job with the Carp this year. It's going to be a shame if they release him this off-season.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 6, 2008 7:09 PM ]

Is Marty's contract up? I had always heard that he was just temporary while they groomed Nomura to be manager. But Marty has done a great job with the team and has a reputation as very popular and a community guy in Hiroshima.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 6, 2008 7:31 PM | YBS Fan ]

Tune in to tonight's Pro Yakyu This Week in a half hour. Or check out the transcript after the game over in the News forum.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 6, 2008 11:10 PM | YOK Fan ]

Yes, it was up, but it looks like the Carp are going to extend Marty, so no worries. (There's an article on JapanBall.com about it, but it will probably be posted here sometime soon).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.