Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Okada has Resigned as Hanshin's Manager

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Okada has Resigned as Hanshin's Manager
I just heard that Akinobu Okada has tendered his resignation as manager of the Hanshin Tigers. This saddens me (a Tigers fan) as I think he did a competent job this season.

I guess the pain of being 13 games ahead in August and losing the Central League pennant was too much.

Looking at it without emotion, the Tigers did surprisingly well. Many of their key players are past their prime (Kanemoto 40, Yano 39, Williams 36). The Giants proved to be young and strong.
Comments
Re: Okada has Resigned as Hanshin's Manager
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 13, 2008 2:09 PM | HT Fan ]

This makes me wonder.

As far as I can ascertain, Okada has not in fact tendered his resignation, but rather stated his intention to resign (albeit fairly strongly). This may just be a matter of semantics, but many of you will know that 辞意表明 (announcing one's intention to resign) and actual 辞任 (resignation) are often two different things.

Hanshin's poor performance in the second half of the season aside, given that (a) Hanshin has averaged 2.4th place with one league pennant over five seasons under Okada, and (b) there are no replacement candidates that are clearly more likely to do better than Okada, I have a sneaking suspicion Okada might be convinced to rethink his position - as is often the case when someone states their intention to resign instead of actually quitting.

I would rather Hanshin got rid of the deadwood players before we let Okada go. For some of us who were accustomed to Hanshin finishing each season last or thereabouts, a record of fourth, first, second, third and second is not to be sneezed at.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:23 AM | HT Fan ]

- I have a sneaking suspicion Okada might be convinced to rethink his position.

Okay, maybe not. Seems the club has accepted his resignation.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 15, 2008 2:55 PM | YOK Fan ]

Nah, I knew from the minute Okada stated his intention to resign that he was going to be gone. Just looking at any of the recent pictures of him in the press, you could tell he was beaten down and worn out. Plus, I don't blame him either. I would imagine that the Hanshin managerial job has got to be one of the worst in Japanese pro baseball.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.