Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro on WBC.

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Ichiro on WBC.
According to Yukan Fuji [in Japanese], Ichiro has come out with criticism about the handling of the WBC manger crisis as well as telling Hoshino that WBC is not a place for a "Beijing Olympics revenge." He went as far as saying that, while it is difficult to get a manager who currently is managing a team, it was hard for him to believe that Japan really was serious about trying to get the best team as possible for WBC.

While my kanji skills are not all too great, I might have missed a few points from the article. But to me it seems as if Ichiro is saying what many people are thinking. That Hoshino is not qualified for the role as skipper and that he wanted someone else for the role.
Comments
Re: Ichiro on WBC.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 20, 2008 9:07 PM | HAN Fan ]

The problem is no one really wants to take on the role of manager. None of them want to fail and they would happily have Hoshino as manager so that if he does fail they can all nod wisely and say "I told you so." The only really qualified candidate for the role is Hara of the Giants, but I suspect that the Japanese baseball establishment expects to lose the cup and so want someone they can safely blame.

Ichiro wants to win and is voicing this.
[ Author: Guest: Number 26 | Posted: Oct 20, 2008 10:14 PM ]

Very true what you say Christopher. You would have thought people would be eager to want to be the manager at WBC, but that is not the case. I can't believe how scared people are. I see no fighting spirit. Hoshino failed miserably in the Olympics and, at this level the game is competitive. If you can't live to up to expectations get a new manager in. Hoshino resigned, but because NPB could not find anyone else they asked Hoshino again?

I can understand Ichiro's outburst. But there is an another side to it. How wise is it as a player to be criticizing the manager and the NPB management? Ichiro is known to be quite arrogant. Coming with harsh criticism towards Hoshino in public is maybe not the best way to prepare for WBC?

Did not Oh also manage Hawks when he was a WBC manager? So why cannot someone who is currently managing manage WBC this time, too? I would have liked to see maybe Watanabe, the current Lions' skipper, or Ochiai, Hara, or Valentine. Valentine is known to be a very good motivator and fire up his squad. I think he could bring in the much needed Fighting Spirit to Japan, but I guess the people running the show are too conservative and want "one of them"?
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Oct 21, 2008 12:40 AM ]

Katsuya Nomura was at the recent WBC skipper meeting where the new commissioner Kato was present alongside Hoshino and Oh. But Nomura wasn't considered at all for the manager's job, according to the disgruntled Nomura after the meeting. For some reason, former Carp and current analyst Kenjiro Nomura did most of the talking at the meeting. There will be future editions of meetings to decide on the WBC manager, and I wonder how much weight Ichiro's words will have.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Oct 21, 2008 9:57 PM | CHU Fan ]

The only names under discussion are Oh, Nomura, and Hoshino? What's Tetsuharu Kawakami doing these days? I guess Osamu Mihara and Shigeru Mizuhara are unavailable.

I mean, if they're going to go old school, why not go all out?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Allen | Posted: Oct 24, 2008 11:40 PM ]

- The only names under discussion are Oh, Nomura, and Hoshino? What's Tetsuharu Kawakami doing these days? I guess Osamu Mihara and Shigeru Mizuhara are unavailable. I mean, if they're going to go old school, why not go all out?

Very good! Nomura joked yesterday that perhaps Ichiro should be player manager.

I fear that they will decide not to decide - with a plan the avoids accountability: give it to the Japan Series-winning manager. Ochiai has said he doesn't want it publicly, Watanabe told me he had no interest and didn't expect to be asked at all.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Oct 23, 2008 4:19 PM ]

Hoshino seems determined not to manage Japan in WBC according to this SanSpo article (via Yahoo! Japan).
  • Hoshino quits after the failure in Beijing.
  • NPB asks him to stay.
  • Ichiro criticizes NPB and Hoshino.
  • And now Hoshino reassures everyone that he is not going to manage the WBC team.
Great! This is turning into a fun soap opera.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 27, 2008 2:47 PM | YOK Fan ]

Well, if they want a former Hanshin manager for the job (like they've been lobbying for Hoshino), why not ask the recently departed Okada if he wants to manage the team? I highly doubt they'd consider him even, but yeah, I just thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents on this matter.
[ Author: Guest: N 26 | Posted: Oct 27, 2008 5:14 PM ]

Now there are talks about Hara getting the job. At this point, right before the Japan Series, the chances of a Hara Japan seems bigger than any other candidates. Hara has been quite successful and ended the Giants in a terrific fashion, so I think he would be qualified for the job. Though I would rather see Ochiai or Valentine.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 29, 2008 11:54 PM | NIP Fan ]

Ochiai basically came out and said straightforward, "I won't do it."

Hara... well, Yomiuri is sponsoring part of the series, aren't they? And it's at the Tokyo Dome? I bet that's got a lot to do with it, but I'm also really behind on the news. I also think Bobby would have been a great choice!
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Oct 30, 2008 10:32 AM | FSH Fan ]

Didn't Hara agreed to coach the team already? Or was that speculation on the newspaper that I saw a few days ago?
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Oct 30, 2008 1:35 PM | YOK Fan ]

Nah, it's a done deal. Tatsunori Hara will be Japan's 2009 World Baseball Classic manager. And a fine choice indeed if I may say so myself.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Oct 30, 2008 5:27 PM ]

Hara will be the manager and is thinking about Nomo as the pitching coach in WBC.

I agree, Deanna. All those things you mention I think played some kind of a role. Hara is in the Yomiuri organization and they have a lot of power, to say the least, and Hara is a good "front man" for the people pulling the strings. So the choice was not such a big surprise.

I have read Cromartie's book and he did not have very high thoughts about Hara as a person, though I get the impression through the media and journalists who I have talked with him on a personal level that Hara is a genuine guy and a good motivator as manager.
Re: Ichiro on WBC
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Oct 31, 2008 12:57 PM ]

Well, Cromartie isn't that highly regarded either, from first and second hand accounts I've heard of meeting the man directly, so it's kinda like a pot and kettle. :P
Re: Ichiro on WBC
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 5, 2008 8:13 PM ]

Well, if Bobby Valentine were ever given the opportunity to manage Team Japan in the WBC, you can be sure he will go all out to win. He'd probably love nothing better than beating his old American buddies.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.