Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shimoyanagi: Japan's Jamie Moyer?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Shimoyanagi: Japan's Jamie Moyer?
I've been a Hawks fan since they moved to Fukuoka in 1989, and I seem to remember a lefty out of the bullpen named Shimoyanagi. What I remember the most (and worst) is how mediocre at best of a pitcher he was. Every time he came in, I had the feeling the Hawks were phoning it in. Probably the craziest season was 1994, when he ended up winning a bunch of games in relief while still giving up hits and walks left and right.

So, I glanced at his statistics this year, and he's 11-6 with a 2.99 ERA. So, I checked his career stats, and ever since he's been with Hanshin (with the exception of 2004), he's been a decent starter. His stats with the Hawks were not very good (ERA never below 4.00 and giving up about as many walks and runs as a reliever as he has been as a starter with Hanshin).

So, did he simply learn to pitch better?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.