Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tied Playoff Game

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Tied Playoff Game
I'll get to the point. I hate the 12-inning tie rule. I'm sure most of you here have left a tied game feeling completely devoid of any excitement/disappointment. Just feeling like you wasted 4 hours instead.

Using this rule in the playoffs just makes it that much more ridiculous. Last night, seeing players running out of the dug-out to celebrate a tie was so bush league.

I don't buy the excuse, "Oh, it's so people can catch a train home." That's a fan's prerogative. If you want to stay or you want to go, leave that to the fans. These guys are professionals and should play out a game.

If I can play devil's advocate (and don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of pro yakyu), this rule is one of the constant reasons why I hear Japanese baseball is "Mickey Mouse" and AA ball.

Get rid of this stupid rule, please!
Comments
Re: Tied Playoff Game
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Oct 25, 2008 11:47 PM ]

Yeah, I'm really trying to enjoy Japanese baseball, but these playoffs are a joke. They change the rules every year, they allow ties, they have a one-game advantage. Isn't home-field advantage enough? If there are too many upsets, what will they do next? Make the lower-ranked team bat all their hitters from the opposite side of the plate? At least they got what they wanted this year in that the Giants and Lions both advanced. But I'm personally tired of this lack of execution in deciding a decent playoff format.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 26, 2008 8:44 AM ]

I'm OK with ties in the regular season, but absolutely not in the post-season. Plus, 50% is too high a percentage play-off participation.
[ Author: Guest: MadHeated | Posted: Oct 28, 2008 11:11 PM ]

I've gotten used to ties in NPB. They bother me less than the TV stations cutting off a game going down to the wire after nine pm.

But the Dragons/Giants playoff series had me steaming mad. One game advantage, home field advantage, and they're allowing tie games?! I guess scooping up all the big money talent isn't enough. I hope to see Kawakami and Woods join the Giants this off-season. Maybe Iwase, too. That would make it apt.

I know the Giants need to be successful in order for NPB to stay in the spotlight, but that whole series felt like a raw deal.

Had me angry until I saw what Bud Selig did to my Phils in the MLB "World" Series this morning.
[ Author: Guest: anti-Giants, anti-Lions | Posted: Oct 29, 2008 2:00 AM ]

Yeah, and is there any coincidence that the Giants got knocked out as the #1 seed last year and now there's an even bigger advantage this year? Isn't getting to be home team the whole series enough? One game advantage, too?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.