Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Darvish not Interested in MLB.

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Darvish not Interested in MLB.
I have read a few articles from the past about Darvish stating that he is not interested in MLB. I wonder if he really means what he says or what the reason is for why he is not interested in going to MLB. Though NPB holds a high standard, many people believe that the MLB standard is higher and that is why many of the best Japanese players want to test their skills in North America. However Darvish seems to be the opposite. He is already one of the best pitchers in NPB, yet shows no interest towards MLB in public.

Coming from a multi ethnic background in homogenic Japan and having a father who lived in the USA, it would appear as if it would be more natural for Darvish than, for instance, Matsuzaka to want to play in MLB. But that does not seem to be the case. Could the reason be that dispite coming from a multi-ethnic background that he wants to show the public that he is Japanese? Or because his dad lived in the USA that he does not want to go to MLB?

Here is the YouTube clip where Darvish went as far as saying something along the line of "if I'm going to the Majors I might as well quit baseball."
Comments
Re: Darvish not Interested in MLB.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 3, 2008 5:23 PM ]

Hard to say how he really feels. He also made comments before the Olympics that showed that he wasn't exactly devoted to Japan either. His father has lived in the U.S. as well, so also seems like that would make him a more likely candidate for MLB. I imagine it would be tiresome to answer so many questions about whether you are interested in going to MLB, so only Darvish knows his true feelings about it right now.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Nov 3, 2008 6:22 PM ]

I've read somewhere that his dad is keen on seeing him play in the Majors.

Also, he's still far removed from becoming an FA (or being posted one year prior to gaining FA status), so he's being a good teammate by saying that he'd rather stay put in NPB.

He's been simply dominating NPB competition in recent years though, so I'd expect him to want to go to the majors eventually (likely through the Fighters posting him). We'll see if his public stance changes after the WBC next spring.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 3, 2008 9:04 PM ]

Well, if his dad is keen on seeing him play in MLB, hopefully he's also keen on seeing him in a Red Sox uniform! His dad lived in Boston, so hopefully like father, like son!
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 4, 2008 4:17 PM | HT Fan ]

His dad wanted him to go for an MLB career straight out of high school.

The video in the original link has a little more detail in it, with Darvish saying that being half-Japanese he always tried to appeal to the other kids by being a good baseball player. So that may play a role at this stage in his career.

I know I write a lot of hot stove and MLB rumor stuff on my blog, but Darvish's commitment to his team and NPB is refreshing. I'd love to see the league build around that and make the league more competitive.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Nov 4, 2008 5:58 PM ]

I don't think you can make yourself any clearer than Darvish has. The mind set that if you are good enough you should automatically try your luck in MLB is a slightly arrogant mind set. Many players, including the best players, could be just as happy playing in Japan as in MLB. Some people like to travel to different places and others like to stay in the same place throughout their lives. Maybe Darvish is one of those people who likes to stay in the same place.

On the other hand, NPB does need to make their leagues more competitive at some stage. It would be nice to see NPB lower the eligibility of FA yet make the league so attractive that players don't want to leave Japan. I am one of those people who would like to see players stay in Japan, yet once they leave Japan, I want them to succeed in MLB.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 8, 2008 9:44 AM ]

I had it Yu's dad worked for the M's for a time.

Leave it to the Red Sox's to start their own urban legend to further their team aims.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 8, 2008 9:33 PM ]

What do you mean by the Red Sox urban legend? (I don't think you mean the gyroball, haha.)
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 8, 2008 11:25 PM ]

He's not going any time soon regardless, so his public statements make sense. They may well be his actual feelings now, but let's see how he feels if (health permitting being the main unknown issue) and when he gets to the point where the chance to go to the majors and make the kind of money he can make in the majors as opposed to NPB is a looming reality. If he still feels that way, it's certainly his choice. But I'm not certain he will still feel that way if the opportunity is looming rather than in its current, more abstract state.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.