Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What's Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
What's Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander
The interest in Nelson Cruz, albeit a little late, is refreshing given the recent cherry picking by MLB of NPB players. It is rumored that a couple of NPB teams are nosing about asking of his availability. I'm not certain if he is Texas property. He is a somewhat older MiLB player who has been kicked about for the last few years between MLB organizations and had the best year of all pro players in America last year (he was hurt for a month, too), including his late MLB stint (he should have been up way earlier, IMO). He should have been MLB rostered for a couple seasons now, IMO.

NPB teams need to be more aggressive during the early season in picking these quality, forgotten, and blocked guys off. There are so many of them.

There is talk of talent drain problems in the NPB on this board all the time. Why? When there are so many wonderful player resources that are not being aggressively tapped, IMO. Cuba and other parts of Latin America. A better job in Asia could probably be done as well.

The NPB needs to start creating losses for other leagues and build theirs. MLB is headed towards a time when the majority of players will no longer be American players. It will likely happen to the NPB as well. That is just the way of things in pro baseball now.
Comments
Re: What's Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Nov 8, 2008 9:22 PM ]

Players stuck in AAA ball refer to the league as the "Parking Lot," where good players advance to only to wait and wait and wait. While clubs' GMs bring in other MLB players to fill out their rosters (this is/may be kind of changing because of salary concerns).

I really think a sharp NPB club could explore the "Loan" system used in European football. It would be good for MLB clubs' systems, the NPB team, and mostly the parked players.

Take the loaded Tampa Bay Rays' system. These guys are off the 40 man roster. Believe me, there are plenty ready to take their places:

Ruggliano (OF): Continues to have great MiLB seasons and is blocked. More so now as F Perez (OF) is breaking through in front of him as the team's 6th outfielder.

Jaso (C): Was sent back to AA ball last year to baby sit a couple upcoming young star aces. Blocked.

Niemann (P): He has had some past issues with control and now looks like he may have made it to the bigs as a relief pitcher. If he fails to stay up this year, he would be a perfect choice for a loan.

All of these players might not be successes in the NPB. But they are talented and languishing. There are hundreds more like them.

There are signed MLB Japanese players (who were successful in the NPB) who have fallen into and are trapped in this limbo now.

Loans are for as little as a month in Europe an often go for the season. The players are often purchased at the end of these loan periods. I believe it is a concept worthy of exploring.

I understand to some extent this has been going on for a long time with players in MiLB and MLB wash outs. The difference here is that I'm talking about younger players; players that maybe still are on the rise and are controlled by MLB clubs under league rules. Therefore the loan system concept.
Re: What's Good For The Goose Is Good For The Gander
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Dec 22, 2008 1:19 AM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

Surprised that Dan Johnson was not picked up all last year by an MLB club. And he was rumored going to Seattle this season (who could have used him).

That's why, I had not listed him among my TB examples, a better bet than the group above.

Good pick up for the NPB. He should have success for years to come there.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.