Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Orix Buffaloes Richard Hidalgo Jon Leicester

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Orix Buffaloes Richard Hidalgo Jon Leicester
I've read that Orix is close to signing Richard Hidalgo (OF), formerly of the Astros; and Jon Leicester (P) Orioles. I think Hidalgo could be an interesting sign.
Comments
Re: Orix Buffaloes Richard Hidalgo Jon Leicester
[ Author: TimMac | Posted: Nov 15, 2008 11:58 PM ]

Interesting and quite possible, but productive, probably not. Hidalgo hasn't played at a competitive level in the past 3 seasons and didn't even make a full season last year in the indy leagues with the Long Island Ducks. The signing of a former 40 homer guy would get you press, but at this stage of his career probably not much more.
[ Author: rockeastwood | Posted: Nov 16, 2008 7:14 AM | YBS Fan ]

Hidalgo hit .291 AVG, .931 OPS, 13 HR, 30 RBI in 165 AB in the Venezuelan Winter League last season. That is one of the most competitive winter ball leagues, IMO.

Pretty decent numbers. If they want to bring him in I say go for it.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 16, 2008 3:07 AM | HT Fan ]

I read that they're close on Leicester, but Hidalgo is still "on their list." They may not have even talked to him yet.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 17, 2008 2:45 PM | YOK Fan ]

Ummmmm, why is Hidalgo even on Orix's radar? They have 2 perfectly good foreign players who can hit for power on their roster in Tuffy Rhodes and Alex Cabrera. I honestly think that Orix is in good shape with the roster they have currently.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Nov 17, 2008 8:05 PM | FSH Fan ]

Tuffy's actually not counted as a foreigner anymore, as he's been in Japan for long enough. If Hidalgo can do anything close to what he did for the Astros, then they might be able to get some good power in the lineup to go along with Rhodes and Cabrera.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 6:09 AM | SFT Fan ]

You also have to factor in Rhodes' age. If memory serves, he's going to be 41 this season, and Cabrera isn't getting any younger either. Foreigners seem to be the way teams get power, so it would make sense taking a Major Leaguer like Hidalgo.

If Orix needs any help, it's finding one more starter and getting a young setup man for Katoh.
[ Author: Guest: Rob | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 4:30 AM ]

He hasn't been in the majors since 2005, and has had only one season in the majors hitting over .240 since 2002. Surely there must be better candidates out there.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 10:28 AM ]

His outstanding season was his age 27 year (surprise surprise) back in 2003. His numbers seem to have fallen off a cliff since then, not very hopeful for any NPB success. [The Baseball Cube]
[ Author: rockeastwood | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 6:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

I am always curious when players drop off power wise around the 2002/2003 range. Right around in the swarm of the Balco mess.

Not saying ...

Just sayin'.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.