Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Just for Fun, Help Me Pick My Pacific League Team

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Just for Fun, Help Me Pick My Pacific League Team
So here is my background, I'm a huge baseball fan, half Japanese (American), been to Japan once (2005) and will go back in 2009 for a month in August.

The one team I saw in '05 was the Giants and I have followed them (as best I can) since then. But I'd like to have a Pacific League team as well.

Ancestrally, my family is from Fukuoka (grandfather's side) and the Yokohama area (grandmother's side).

I was thinking about the Hawks since they are from Fukuoka, but they really haven't done much in a few years. Any chance of that improving?

A friend recommended Seibu since they are near Tokyo, are a good team, and are his team.

Another friend recommended the Dragons, but only because Yu Darvish is cute (really, that is all she knew!). He is good and I know they won a couple of years back but what is their future like?

Anyway, with all of that in mind, who do you think I should choose for a Pacific League team and why?

Thanks.

Keith
Comments
Re: Just for Fun, Help Me Pick My Pacific League Team
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 17, 2008 2:02 PM | YBS Fan ]

This seems to be a popular request, similar to this and several others. Except it looks like your criteria is a team with a high probability of winning.

If you do some research, you'll find that the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks are one of the winningest teams in the Pacific League since 1999. They've just had some problems the past couple of years, team health correlating with their manager's.

And Darvish is with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, not the Chunichi Dragons. This wide a miss suggests that you're still in need of doing a great deal more research on your own before we can be of much help.
Re: Just for Fun, Help Me Pick My Pacific League Team
[ Author: nanbanjin | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 9:48 PM | HAN Fan ]

If you're coming over in August, why don't you just try and go to as many Pacific League games as you can and see if there's any team/fanbase that catches your fancy? Every team has different traditions and atmosphere in their games. If you're going to be based in Kanto it shouldn't be difficult to catch at least 4 of the 6 when they play at Chiba Marine Stadium (Lotte) and Seibu Dome (Seibu).

That makes more sense to me than choosing based only on who's winning now. Boy, would that make for good conversations in the bleachers with your future fellow fans.
- So why did you become a XXX fan?

- Because they're first in the standings.

- Oh, and in the Central League I like the Giants.

- ... ... ...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.