Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Dragons' Pair Eye Free Agency

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Dragons' Pair Eye Free Agency
Chunichi Dragons right-hander Kenshin Kawakami and infielder Norihiro Nakamura declared themselves free agents, it was learned on Saturday.

The 33-year-old Kawakami said he wants to test his value on the market, including in the major leagues.

[Full Article: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20081116TDY24301.htm#3]
Comments
Re: Dragons' Pair Eye Free Agency
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 17, 2008 2:50 PM | YOK Fan ]

I was totally surprised when I had read that Norihiro had opted for free agency. I thought he said he was going to stay with Chunichi but I guess he had a change of heart.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 17, 2008 6:39 PM | HAN Fan ]

Nakamura has indicated an interest in talking with Nomura and Rakuten. They have already said they would guarantee him the third base position.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 17, 2008 8:17 PM ]

Yeah, Chunichi took a chance on Nori when his career appeared over. Thought he would stick around and retire with them.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 2:44 PM | YOK Fan ]

Apparently, he just did it as a precaution. He was quoted saying that it's not 100% for sure he is going to leave Chunichi. It's really hard to say how this will end up to be honest with you.
[ Author: firearmofmutiny | Posted: Nov 21, 2008 12:45 PM | CD Fan ]

I thought so, too. I'm forever grateful for what Nori did for the Dragons in 2007, but Ochiai-kantoku did mention that he wanted some of his younger players to play more. (A lot of the Dragons' key players over the last 2-3 years are age 33-40; this was coming for quite some time.) Whether Nori joins Tyrone Woods as a victim of this youth movement remains to be seen. (Can't count Kenshin with this, as he was pretty much guaranteed to try out for the majors once he became a free agent.)

Either way, I'm bracing for a rebuilding year for the Dragons. A lot of kids may get their first shot on the first team next season. That's why I'm so glad the Dragons won the championship last year; the window of opportunity may be shut now.
[ Author: Guest: Shini | Posted: Nov 21, 2008 6:03 PM ]

Actually, Nori already signed with the Eagles, so he's definitely gone. Now it's just Woods left. With Kawakami also leaving for the MLB, it's very probable that someone will be in the playoffs next season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.