Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Gambatte (Do your best), Darrell: Rasner headed for Japan

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Gambatte (Do your best), Darrell: Rasner headed for Japan
Darrell Rasner has found something in Japan that he hasn't always had throughout his Major League Baseball career: stability.

[Full Article: http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20081116/SPORTS/811169966/1017/NONE&parentprofile=1059&title=Gambatte%20(Do%20your%20best),%20Darrell:%20Rasner%20headed%20for%20Japan]
Comments
Re: Gambatte (Do your best), Darrell: Rasner headed for Japan
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Nov 18, 2008 11:42 PM | HT Fan ]

Having watched about 90% of the Yankees games the last 4 years (MLB Ticket on Direct TV) since I returned from Japan, I can say that Rasner pitched well for the Yankees. He did have some bad outings, but I think he will do well in Japan pitching on a consistent basis.

Good luck to him!
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 10:24 AM ]

He posted better numbers than Igawa with the Yankees, if that's any indicator (not much, as transitioning across the Pacific involves more than just translating stats).
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 10:30 AM ]

Well, I obviously couldn't root for him when he was with the Yankees, but I hope he does well with Rakuten. This is a team I'd like to see get over the hump, so hopefully he can be a part of that.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 3:24 PM ]

While I wish him the best next year, perhaps we will go up to Sendai for a game or two, this move seems fishy to me.

If you are a starting pitcher for the Yanks, even with a moderate record, why would you move to the Pacific League in the NPB and to Sendai? Perhaps it is about the renegotiation of his contract, but in general, salaries are higher in the Majors, so I'm not sure that is the motivation. Anyway, one would think he could go to a B class MLB team and do quite well without having to learn Japanese or how to eat with hashii.

Good for the Eagles, however, if this pans out. With the strong yen, this may turn out to be a good deal.

Is Barry Bonds next to come over?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.