Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Jose Fernandez' Future with Rakuten?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Jose Fernandez' Future with Rakuten?
Rakuten has signed Norihiro Nakamura (3B). Does this mean Jose Fernandez (3B) will be leaving? I've heard rumors that Orix is interested in signing Fernandez.
Comments
Re: Jose Fernandez' Future with Rakuten?
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 7:40 AM ]

If Seguinol is back with the Eagles, Fernandez will be relegated to the bench. An unlikely proposition when some teams in NPB can still use 1B/3B/DH.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 11:03 AM | HT Fan ]

I read earlier today that Fernandez is likely done with Rakuten. Hanshin was interested in acquiring him as a third base option, but I think they're focused on Kevin Mench at the moment.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 9:07 AM | YOK Fan ]

I actually heard he was released or going to be. But, I have seen no articles regarding Fernandez this off-season yet. Maybe after they sign Nakamura, then they'll chose to do something.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 9:27 AM | HT Fan ]

Actually, earlier today I read that Rakuten's foreign roster is set with Rasner, Childers, Seguignol, and Rick Short. So it looks like Fernandez is on his way out of Rakuten.
[ Author: Guest: Alex | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:15 PM ]

I fail to see how Nakamura is an upgrade over Fernandez. Both are the same age and it's not like Nakamura was cheap along with his 2 year deal. We'll see how good he is defensive when he's 37.

2008 stats:
FERNANDEZ: .301 AVG, 19 HR, 99 RBI
NAKAMURA: .274 AVG, 24 HR, 74 RBI
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 2, 2008 9:22 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (Dec 2, 2008) Nikkan Sports (paper edition) says that, Rakuten has given Fernandez his release. The reasons stated in the article have already been mentioned above: Nori will be taking over third base; the foreign player limit; Fernandez not coming through in clutch situations.

Along with this news, it was mentioned that Rakuten is letting go of Domingo as well.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 2, 2008 1:38 PM | YOK Fan ]

I've always liked Fernandez. I hope he can catch on with another team as I'd hate to see him not get another chance at playing.
[ Author: Guest: Tim | Posted: Dec 2, 2008 9:35 PM ]

I have trouble with the notion that Fernandez doesn't come through in the clutch. He hit .301 with 99 RBI's. He had 40 doubles and hit .327 with runners in scoring position. If Rakuten is saying they released him because he didn't hit in the clutch, then what stats are they looking at?
[ Author: Guest: Alex | Posted: Dec 4, 2008 9:04 AM ]

The wonders of the Japanese front office! I swear if the team was run by a PS3 it would make better decisions.

If anything, the Eagles should've released Fernandez after the 2007 season, when he batted .270, 22 HR, 79 RBI, not after he actually improved.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Dec 5, 2008 9:58 PM ]

Orix is now trying to get Fernandez into their organization.

Source. Sanspo [in Japanese]
[ Author: Guest: Tim | Posted: Dec 7, 2008 12:57 AM ]

If Orix signs Fernandez, does it mean LaRocca will move to second base? Or does it mean LaRocca's not coming back from his injury?

Plus, if they sign all the players that they are reported to be interested in (Hidalgo, Fernandez, Leicester, Vogelsong, Glynn, and Nitkowski) that would give them 8 gajin. Is that too many?
[ Author: Guest: Storm | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 10:44 PM ]

Does anyone know where Jose Fernandez might end up for the upcoming season?
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Dec 22, 2008 2:30 PM ]

Tim,

There is no limit on the number of foreign players an NPB team can have on its 70-man organizational roster. The 4-player limit for foreign players concerns how many gaijin can suit up for each ichi-gun game.

Jose Fernandez and Alex Cabrera formed a formidable one-two punch for the Seibu Lions a few years ago, and the Orix Buffaloes had success with Cabrera and Tuffy Rhodes last season, so I guess they are hoping for more in 2009.

If you didn't already know, Tuffy Rhodes does not count against the foreign player limit as he has played more than 9 seasons in Japan.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Seibu's Hsu Ming-Chieh will qualify for the same exemption next year after finishing his 9th season with the club in 2008.

Finally, I don't think any NPB team would want Greg LaRocca next year, and I'm not just saying this because of his arm surgery.
[ Author: Guest: Tim | Posted: Dec 22, 2008 6:48 PM ]

Thanks for the information. I read that Orix and Greg LaRocca agreed on a contract for next year. He's taking a pay cut. Orix is satisfied that his injury has healed.

Why didn't you think anyone would sign him?
[ Author: Guest: Brad | Posted: Jan 7, 2009 12:01 AM ]

According to Daily Sports Online and Nikkan Sports, Orix is interested in signing Fernandez again. They are also still pursuing Richard Hidalgo.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.