Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Indian pitcher Mastny to join Yokohama

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Indian pitcher Mastny to join Yokohama
The Cleveland Indians have sold right-hander Tom Mastny's contract to the Yokohama BayStars, U.S. media reported Tuesday.

[Full Article: http://www.japanball.com/news.phtml?id=13565]
Comments
Re: Indian pitcher Mastny to join Yokohama
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 13, 2008 3:54 PM ]

I imagine he'll be the first player born in Indonesia to play in NPB, unless someone knows otherwise?
[ Author: Guest: Pat | Posted: Dec 15, 2008 10:52 PM ]

Funny, when I read the headline, I thought Yokohama was signing a pitcher from the country of India. I thought they must have been following the lead of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Shouldn't it have been "Indians pitcher..." ?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 4:18 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Shouldn't it have been "Indians pitcher..." ?

The story is taken from the News Aggregator which just takes the name of the said story from the said website. In this case the goof up was on Japan Ball's end. They were the one who titled the story "Indian pitcher Mastny to join Yokohama." Apparently there was a typo on their end.
[ Author: Guest: Pat | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 9:21 AM ]

- In this case the goof up was on Japan Ball's end.

Well I wasn't trying to apportion blame - I was just making the observation. Anyway, it wouldn't have been Japan Ball's error in any case, as they get their articles straight from Kyodo.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 10:36 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Anyway, it wouldn't have been Japan Ball's error in any case, as they get their articles straight from Kyodo.

Yeah, I realized that soon after I typed it. Also, I'm sorry if I came across as trying to point blame on anyone as that wasn't my intention. It was more that I jumped the gun and didn't proofread my response and left out the part where Japan Ball gets their articles straight from the Kyodo News wires after only reading it for the last 5 years or so.
[ Author: Guest: Pat | Posted: Dec 18, 2008 12:15 AM ]

Yeah, that happens sometimes.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 5:46 AM ]

Yes, it crossed my mind for a second, too, the way it was worded. But I was familiar with the pitcher in question.

Mastny was, however, born in Indonesia (East Bontang), which is cool. He was raised in the US, though.

See also: Baseball-Reference
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.