Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

WBC Roster

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
WBC Roster
Well, the committee's announced the initial roster for the WBC team.

From what I see in this initial squad, they seriously lack bullpen depth. Only 4 of the 16 pitchers are true relief pitchers. Mahara's coming back from injury and wasn't the same as his '07 self. You've got to wonder with the WBC pitch count format how effective Japan will be to use the starters in relief appearances.

The infield is packed, all of them either had a good year, or have performed relative well on the international stage. But I'd probably want to see Nishioka in the roster as well (or was he injured or something?), I always remembered him playing well playing for Japan.

Finally, for the outfield, it seems like they don't really have anyone who plays left field regularly. Uchikawa, from what I see, generally played 1B for BayStars. The others are all CF or RF. They seem to lack some power guys in case they need it. Maybe Matsunaka will play LF, as Akiyama's said he will be playing there regularly in the next season. Oh-kan...former kantoku also suggested to use Matsunaka in the 4th hole as well.

What do you guys feel about this roster so far?
Comments
Re: WBC Roster
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 10:57 AM | TYS Fan ]

- From what I see in this initial squad, they seriously lack bullpen depth. Only 4 of the 16 pitchers are true relief pitchers.

This is a common criticism of Cuban and Japanese international teams, but they tend to do just fine. Ace starters can do just fine out of the bullpen.

- Finally, for the outfield, it seems like they don't really have anyone who plays left field regularly.

Again, this is hardly a concern as center fielders certainly have the skills to play left, a far less demanding spot.

One complaint I do have about Japanese international teams is the tendency to use shortstops at third base. They keep using guys like Shinya Miyamoto or Munenori Kawasaki at third. I think Shuichi Murata or Ogasawara (if Kurihara or Uchikawa plays first) should man third each game. I know Murata struggled in the Olympics, but Japan could use the offensive edge.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 11:52 AM | YBS Fan ]

- But I'd probably want to see Nishioka in the roster as well (or was he injured or something?), I always remembered him playing well playing for Japan.

Today's (Dec. 16, 2008) Nikkan Sports (paper edition) features a disappointed Nishioka in shock that he was not selected. The article goes on to point out that the Marines went from 8 players in the initial WBC to just 1 (Watanabe Shunsuke) representing the team in 2009.

No, Nishioka isn't injured or anything. He's just not Hara-kantoku's idea of a Samurai. I was going to complain that Hara favors the Central League, but the numbers don't agree:
    Pos   MLB  CL  PL
    P 3 3 10
    C 1 2 1
    IF 1 3 4
    OF 2 3 1
    === === == ==
    7 11 16
The Pacific League has long been known for better pitching, I guess that this reflects that.

Oh, and this lists Uchikawa as an outfielder, not an infielder, so it should be a 4:4 ratio for infielders and a 2:1 ratio of outfielders between the Central and Pacific representatives. Last year Uchikawa played 119 games at first base, 9 in left field, 1 in center, and 1 in right.

I'm guessing that Hara-kantoku is trying to juggle the batting order into some bizarre optimal scheme and hope that the fielding just happens (a similar strategy Hoshino's Olympic team took). I'm afraid that Hara isn't known for his ability to apply forethought and/or logic to a given situation. It's all from the gut.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 28, 2008 8:49 AM | YBS Fan ]

Looking at a photo in yesterday's Nikkan Sports (paper edition), I think I figured out why Nishioka was left off the team. He's got wild orange hair.

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who is more traditional Giant than Hara-kantoku. Hara-kantoku happens to be in charge of the Samurai Japan WBC team. Naturally, he'll be better able to relate to players who fit the G-man image - clean shaven, well groomed, the consummate gentleman in outer appearance.

How many Samurai have been selected for the WBC team who have facial hair and/or two-tone heads?
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Dec 16, 2008 6:18 PM ]

Watanabe's ERA from last season is a rather high 4.17. Maybe it was his unique sub marine style which got him onto the team as I do not expect any others in the WBC to have the same pitching style as he does. In the previous WBC I recall that he got hit pretty hard by Cuba.

The infield is already packed with lots of players. I thought the Kawasaki/Tsuyoshi combo was a good combo myself, but... Then on top of that you now have Iwamura, Matsui Kaz, Nakajima, and Kataoka.

Aoki, Ichiro, Uchikawa outfield? Hara's got to play Uchikawa some place.

I am relieved to see no Dragon players on this team together with Hoshino actually. Hoshino's "shinjiru" in Iwase mentality is what cost Japan the medals.

Having watched the Japan Series, I wish it would have been Watanabe as skipper and not Hara as he clearly was a notch above Hara in his strategic moves.

I can't wait till this tournament begins. I have a feeling that I will be very disappointed when it ends, however, just like the Olympics and Marines this season.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 18, 2008 8:13 AM ]

Is Kaz Matsui really on the WBC roster for Japan? I thought he was left out.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Dec 18, 2008 10:17 AM | FSH Fan ]

No, Kaz Matsui is not on the WBC roster.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 18, 2008 9:48 AM | YOK Fan ]

Uchikawa is great in the outfield as that was his primary position in 2006 and 2007, and before that, too, possibly. Apparently from what I hear, he can play anywhere apart from pitcher and catcher. He was put at first this past season because Saeki was utterly horrible there and I think that management wanted to give "Uchi" regular playing time so they moved Uchikawa to first and Saeki to the bench and the rest is history. So, Uchikawa playing the outfield for the WBC team makes sense.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Allen | Posted: Jan 2, 2009 2:55 PM ]

Uchikawa was originally a second baseman but lost the job largely because frequent injuries set him back and the management had more faith in the horrible Hitoshi Taneda. They moved him to the outfield thinking it would allow him to concentrate on his hitting and perhaps find the power he had in high school. It was a move he said he never really understood, and it didn't do anything toward stopping an offensive slide which saw him banished to the minors last season.

I was surprised he would be in the outfield for the WBC, but I'm sure he'll be happy to play anywhere Hara wants him.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Allen | Posted: Jan 3, 2009 4:52 PM ]

Uchikawa was banished to the minors in 2007, of course. I should have said, "the previous season."

My apologies.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.