Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

That's

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
That's "Sir," to You Ichiro Suzuki
So I'm in Nagoya, home of the Chunichi Dragons and Ichiro Suzuki's stomping grounds. My boss and two scouts from another organization were at the ballgame that night, and the four of us crammed into a cab to return to Nagoya Station.

[Full Article: http://eastwindupchronicle.com/ichiros-master/]
Comments
Re: That's "Sir," to You Ichiro Suzuki
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 20, 2009 1:12 AM ]

What was the purpose of this article? It's only someone belittling and humiliating the people of Nagoya. And this person doesn't even claim the article; "Mac," do you know how many "Mac's" there are around the world? Hey, "Mac the scout," why don't you write something of interest next time? Maybe, that you actually found the next Ichiro, huh?

Your article sounds like a Jr. High School kid that went on a trip, they did not want to go on. And all "they" had to say was negative, so "they" wouldn't be sent again. You know something "Mac"; I hope your scouting skills are way better than your journalist skills. And please, next time write something of interest, and that actually makes sense. Thanks.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 20, 2009 9:24 AM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry you found that one so offensive. The reason I posted the link was for the cross cultural aspects mentioned; namely the sempai-kohai relationship between the taxi driver and Ichiro. The message that one can turn to discussing baseball to get past language and cultural barriers is also a positive one.

Still, I kind of thought that Mac belittled himself and the other "ugly American" scouts more so than the people of Nagoya. It seems that they escaped without causing an international incident, and made a friend of one of the locals in the meantime. While I don't necessarily share their taste in humor, I can accept much of it as being a satirical attempt at recounting the taxi ride.

I guess I just tend to look at the more positive aspects of such stories.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 9, 2009 9:15 AM ]

Nothing offensive about that article, it's just a "cabbie story." Some folks take offense at anything. If someone wanted to pick on the unpleasant to ridiculous aspects of Nagoya, there are any number of possibly insulting things to point out. Too many hookers standing on the corners is one thing that can easily be said.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.