Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yakyu Memories

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Yakyu Memories
Hello, I was in Japan from 1989-1995, I was stationed at NAF Atsugi. I went to my first Yakyu game back when Yokohama were still called the Whales.

I had the best baseball experience of my life at a Nippon Yakyu game in 1994 at Yokohama Stadium. Yokohama was playing the Giants, it was the ninth inning and they were down by two runs. With two outs there was a close play at second base which would have ended the game. The very next batter stepped up and worked the pitcher to a full count and fouled off a few pitches, then hit a three run homer to center field; and I can still remember the ball hitting the scoreboard and actually breaking off a piece of plastic when it hit. The crowd went nuts and the Giants fans threw their noisemakers onto the field and left in disgust. I even saw a fight outside the stadium between two rival fans.

I will always remember that game, and Yokohama is in my heart as my team in Japan, regardless of their record.

My email is dpz66@yahoo.com if you would like to reply to me.
Comments
Re: Yakyu Memories
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Jan 23, 2009 9:25 AM | YOK Fan ]

Great story. I actually used to live near Atsugi Base up until I moved last August. Hopefully, one day I can return "home" to Kanagawa and stay there.

I also had a similar experience at Yokohama Stadium in 2007. It was a weekday game against the Carp and I was sitting with my friends who have season tickets. The Carp struck first and they dominated most of the game. But in about the 5th or 6th inning something started to happen. Yokohama started getting on base and started driving in runs. And little by little, Yokohama started to chip away at the Carp's lead. My friends were going nuts and screaming something about the famous "Machine Gun Offense" that lead Yokohama to the 1998 Japan Series Championship. But Hiroshima also started to fight back and the game ended up going into extra innings and the score ended with both teams in double digits.

But, the thing I remember most was when Yokohama got that last hit and outscored the Carp, you could see about 20 or so megaphones (noisemakers) and other things fly onto the field. It was probably one of the best games I've ever been to.

I also have a similar story about a game last year at the Nagoya Dome that I'll make a post about later.

Like you Don, the BayStars will always be my #1 so to speak. Even though I'm more of a Seibu Fan these days (mainly because of where I live and the Seibu Dome being the closest stadium to where I live now), the kindness that all of my BayStars friends have shown me these past few years, I will never forget and will treasure for a lifetime.

Needless to say, when the BayStars come to Tokorozawa for Inter-league play this year, those who know me will know where to find me when the game starts (wink).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.