Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Who Are You Rooting for in the WBC?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Who Are You Rooting for in the WBC?
Who are you rooting for in the WBC?

I am rooting for Japan since I am Japanese.
Comments
Re: Who Are You Rooting for in the WBC?
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Feb 27, 2009 6:21 PM ]

Japan!
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 27, 2009 8:43 PM | HAN Fan ]

Japan.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 27, 2009 11:25 PM ]

Japan, Puerto Rico, and Cuba.
[ Author: HaruSaru | Posted: Feb 27, 2009 11:30 PM | HC Fan ]

My heart says Japan, but I have no faith in Hara-kantoku. I grew up in Kansai in the '80s and Hara was one of the players I hated the most. I can't really say that my feeling towards him has changed since then either.

I am convinced he will mess it up one way or another in WBC, but I hope I'm wrong.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Feb 28, 2009 12:50 AM ]

Japan and Canada!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 28, 2009 2:58 AM ]

Nihon!!!
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Feb 28, 2009 10:19 AM | HT Fan ]

Japan.

And I'd love to see one of the underdog teams win a game.
[ Author: Guest: Terence | Posted: Mar 6, 2009 4:45 PM ]

Anyone but the Dominican!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 7, 2009 1:19 AM ]

Well, Japan's next is against S. Korea. I am looking forward to it. If Japan loses to them again, I am going to be really mad and frustrated like in the Beijing Olympics.
[ Author: rockeastwood | Posted: Mar 7, 2009 10:33 AM | YBS Fan ]

U.S.A. all-the-way!
[ Author: Guest: jimmy1138 | Posted: Mar 7, 2009 4:49 PM ]

Well Japan has to play against Korea probably again. If Japan loses they'll play against China (where I can't see 'em losing) and then again against Korea. Japan wins, Korea also wins against China so they'll both play against each other again.

Barring a shockingly surprising victory of China against either Korea or Japan the second game between those two teams may be more important than today's game.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 7, 2009 7:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hold on. That many references to China suggests that China defeated Taiwan. I'm watching the game via delay on J-Sports, and China had a 1-0 lead then, and is now holding on to a 3-1 lead. I have the awful feeling that you just ruined the outcome for me.

I have a further feeling that reading the blogs (EWC) and press (Taiwan Times) will be interesting tonight and tomorrow morning.
[ Author: Guest: jimmy1138 | Posted: Mar 7, 2009 8:11 PM ]

I beg your pardon, didn't think of that possibility.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 7, 2009 10:04 PM ]

YES! Japan embarrassed Korea! 14-2.

I'm so happy! (I'm Japanese, so you have to understand my joyness, heheh.)
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Mar 8, 2009 1:08 PM | HT Fan ]

Nihon wa ichiban ya!
Japan vs. Korea Highlights
[ Author: rockeastwood | Posted: Mar 8, 2009 5:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

I made this video for the Japan vs Korea game last night. Just some short pre-game hype and a couple highlights.

Good times! What a party!
Re: Japan vs. Korea Highlights
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Mar 10, 2009 2:38 AM ]

Great video! What a game! And the Korean cheer leader girls! p)
[ Author: Martin | Posted: Mar 9, 2009 11:07 AM | SL Fan ]

I am rooting for The Netherlands since I am Dutch. My second team is Japan since I am a big NPB (Seibu Lions) fan. What about the Dutch beating the Dominican Republic 3-2? I think it was pure luck, but I enjoyed the game a lot. Tomorrow we'll go to the game versus Puerto Rico. Hopefully we'll have lots of luck again.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Mar 9, 2009 7:26 PM ]

As an European, I am happy to see Netherlands beat Dominica Republic. Baseball is a minor sport in soccer mad Europe, but hopefully more people will open up their eyes to baseball with results like this and the sport will grow in popularity.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 9, 2009 11:07 PM ]

How about those Aussies? Beating the team, that eliminated the USA 3 years ago. I am loving this tournament! Very open and unpredictable!
[ Author: Brad BT | Posted: Mar 11, 2009 1:33 AM | SEI Fan ]

JAPAN!!!!

Although I'm hoping that the WBC expands in future years. Imagine a team Scotland or team France. (No way they could be as bad as South Africa.)
[ Author: Guest: Heavesrock | Posted: Mar 12, 2009 5:59 AM ]

Scotland would be. There are only four adult teams in Scotland and play at best at a high school level.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Mar 12, 2009 2:14 PM | HAN Fan ]

Baseball has been played around the world since the late 1800s, especially after the Spalding Tours. However, quality baseball has been concentrated in certain regions.

In Europe - the Netherlands and Italy.
In Asia - Japan, Korea, Taiwan and recently China.
In the Americas - USA, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Colombia, and Nicaragua.

Colombia and Nicaragua are better competition than South Africa - I thought they would have changed the lineup since 2006!
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Mar 12, 2009 2:36 PM ]

It's an invitational tournament to spread baseball around the world, hence the inclusion of South Africa and exclusion of some Latin American countries who are stronger baseball nations.

The tournament could do with a FIFA World Cup style regional qualifying tournaments and set number of slots for each region. Currently that'd be 5 for Asia-Pacific, 2 for Europe, 1 for Africa/Rest of World, and 8 for the Americas (not a bad distribution, I reckon).
[ Author: Guest: further | Posted: Mar 20, 2009 2:09 AM ]

USA all the way.

Isn't Japanese baseball at a higher level then Korea's Why is it that Japan seems to lose more often to this country? They beat much more skilled team like Cuba.

It seem like these two countries are going at it make the game more interesting.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 20, 2009 2:08 PM ]

It's amazingly strange to me how many non-Japanese all rooted for Japan while I was watching the game. It seemed like all the Americans at Petco Park were waving Japanese flags. What's the deal? Little odd.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 20, 2009 2:24 PM ]

- [...] all the Americans at Petco Park were waving Japanese flags.

I think there were more Korean-Americans waving Korean flags in attendance than any other groups.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Mar 20, 2009 2:27 PM ]

Japanese culture's kinda popular around the world right now. But might it have more to do with being anti-Cuban?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Allen | Posted: Mar 22, 2009 3:54 PM ]

I noticed a lot of Americans jumping on the band wagon in the 2nd-round finale depending on where they were sitting.

Some morons sitting nearby us on the third-base side--who didn't seem to have enough intellect to know any difference between Koreans and Japanese--shouted obscenities at the Koreans.

Tonight at Dodger Stadium it was easy to distinguish the flag wavers of Korea and Venezuela, while everyone else just looked kind of stunned as the Venezuelan major leaguers committed suicide through bad fielding and bad pitching.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.