Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Group linked to Valentine explored buying BayStars

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Group linked to Valentine explored buying BayStars
Like a batter with three strikes, Bobby Valentine is promising to go down swinging.

Forced into lame-duck status by the Chiba Lotte management, which said in December that 2009 would be his final season at the club's helm.

[Full Article: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20090315jg.html]
Comments
Re: Group linked to Valentine explored buying BayStars
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Mar 16, 2009 9:01 AM | YOK Fan ]

I had kicked around the idea for a while now of Bobby V. coming to manage the BayStars after the 2009 season. It would be interesting to say the least.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 16, 2009 10:28 AM | HAN Fan ]

It would have been a good idea. Yokohama does need some improvement and removing the current ownership would have been beneficial. It's a shame the idea was scuppered by the recession.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 16, 2009 11:46 AM | YBS Fan ]

I've certainly kicked the idea of Bobby coming to Yokohama around as well. As mentioned in the article, I think that Valentine-kantoku can really create an amazing atmosphere in Yokohama, which has a great deal more potential for drawing than Makuhari Mesa.

The main problem that I see is that Bobby's personality will most definitely clash with Yokohama's front office. Don't get me wrong. Bobby's temperament has come a long way since the clashes with Hirooka-GM in 1995. You can see it in his handling of having all of his powers slowly stripped by Setoyama-president (a continuing insanity which I can only explain as Setoyama trying to force Bobby to quit early).

It's kind of early to start talking about the 2010 season. But Yokohama hiring Bobby next season seems to be a sure way for this city to beat the recession blues. I'm hoping that Yokohama's front office can overcome any possible misgivings of the potential clash of wills and not only hire Valentine-kantoku to lead the way to the Stars, but give him the power necessary to carry out the mission.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.