Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Americans Underdogs?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Americans Underdogs?
It seems like everyone talks about Asia catching up with MLB, but this interesting piece [Yahoo! Sports - in English] is very humble and fair, arguing that the Americans are actually the ones that need to catch up and learn from Japan and Korea.
Comments
Re: Americans Underdogs?
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 8:45 PM ]

Korea and Japan have dominated this WBC, but that was this time, things can change quickly in baseball. There is too much politics in the US with not letting players play or players not wanting to play for USA. MLB teams, managers, and players need to come to terms with the fact that there is a time for club championships and country championships.

In order for the WBC to grow, which I hope it does, it is dependent on a strong USA team and a strong interest from the fans in USA.

Despite the results in the finals, Japanese baseball fans will still keep looking up to American baseball and MLB.

As for me. I'm happy about Japan's success and Asian baseball's success in general. Makes me happy and proud.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 10:04 PM ]

- There is too much politics in the US with not letting players play or players not wanting to play for USA.

On top of this, there were a lot of injuries to the US team. I fear this will make teams even more cautious next time. With the absurd salaries in MLB, the priority will most likely continue to be individual team over country.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 10:57 PM | YAK Fan ]

- On top of this, there were a lot of injuries to the US team. I fear this will make teams even more cautious next time. With the absurd salaries in MLB, the priority will most likely continue to be individual team over country.

Surprisingly, MLB commissioner Bud Selig actually spoke out about that very issue during the Korea - Venezuela game:

Selig: Classic to get 'bigger and bigger' from the MLB-WBC site.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 11:16 PM ]

I'm not a big Bud Selig fan, but good to see him speak out in favor of the WBC. It still needs some improvement, but would love to see it grow and grow.
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Mar 24, 2009 12:02 AM ]

Bud S. is a cow in a bull's hide - and either way he's full of puckie.

Japan and Korea have been the better clubs top to bottom in this tourney.

Johnson's failure to yank Oswalt was stunning.

USA has yet to grasp that tournament play is not different.

The point made about MLB not going along with the WBC in the future is weakening as the league is being filled with foreign players who yearn to play for their homelands in this most wonderful event.

Rosters may/could be increased to reduce playing time. Thought the innings pitched restrictions were well thought out.

However, I do believe every injury could just have easily have happened with the players home team.

Do think, DeRosa's shots might have been taters had the wind not have been blowing in so hard. It would have been a different game then.

I was on the edge of my seat until the end of the game.

Great job Asia. You have more than arrived now. You are a force.

We'll get ya' next time though.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 24, 2009 2:51 AM ]

-[...] it is dependent on a strong USA team [...]

David Wright, Jimmy Rollins, Derek Jeter, Brian Roberts, Dunn, Bruan are not good enough to be considered a strong USA team? That's an ALL STAR roster they put up. No more excuses for USA. They simply lost fair square.

- Despite the results in the finals, Japanese baseball fans will still keep looking up to American baseball and MLB.

Opinion, not a fact.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Mar 24, 2009 11:21 PM ]

There was an article on SI which I wanted to share.

In a time when baseball has been individualized, commercialized and altogether tarnished by nine-figure contracts, performance enhancing drugs and labor stoppages, Korea and Japan are an example that baseball can still be a beautiful pastime, even if it isn't entirely America's pastime anymore.

I still think the majority of the people in Japan think of MLB to be slightly above NPB, but not many people will think Americans play better ball than Japanese in Japan any more.

In any case. I can't stop smiling. Good day for baseball! Good day for Japan and it's baseball fans!

Back to back Champions!

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.