Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Do Any Japanese Players Chew Tobacco?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Do Any Japanese Players Chew Tobacco?
This may seem like an odd topic. I'm watching the Tigers/Dragons game now and Baldiris is chewing a huge wad of tobacco.

This begs 2 questions.
  1. Do any Japanese players chew tobacco?
  2. How do American players get chewing tobacco in Japan?
I know you can get it online.
Comments
Re: Do Any Japanese Players Chew Tobacco?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 24, 2009 3:56 AM ]

Nope. They chew bubblegum.
OT: Chewing Tobacco in MLB
[ Author: larryo | Posted: Apr 28, 2009 12:59 AM | HT Fan ]

Yes, lots of major leaguers chew tobacco. I was surprised how many- about 33%. Here is the report [BleacherReport.com].

Lots of managers in MLB chew tobacco too. The above link is critical of chewing tobacco, but many players really think it helps them play better.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:07 PM ]

I have never seen a Japanese player chew tobacco. Are there still players in the States who chew tobacco? Seems like a dying trend. Anyhow, I have seen Japanese players smoke cigarettes. I think there are quite a few players who smoke, still. I have seen Kiyohara smoking in the dug out quite a few years ago when he was playing for Seibu. I am sure some are still smoking cigarettes, though this too is a dying trend.

I am sure you can get chewing tobacco at some place in Japan such as tobacco stores.
[ Author: Guest: Isaac | Posted: Apr 28, 2009 3:18 AM ]

Chew and dip seems to be still be really popular in the MLB.

I quit a while ago, but I can't watch a MLB game without seeing a few guys doing it. It always give me the temptation to get a can. That stuff is bad for you though.
OT: Chewing Tobacco in MLB
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:58 AM ]

Chew is banned in the minors in North America, if I remember correctly. So, the habit is probably gonna slowly fade away.
[ Author: Guest: JC | Posted: Apr 30, 2009 11:24 AM ]

A few years back there was that picture of Kanemoto smoking in the dugout during a game that made it into one of the sports papers. Many do it discretely in the tunnels during games.

I don't know of any chewers, but smoking is still very popular among Japanese players. Much more than their American counterparts I would say.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.