Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Colby Lewis

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Colby Lewis
Colby Lewis played for the Hiroshima Carp in 2008 and 2009 and did very well.. This year he played for the Texas Rangers and also had a good season. He will even start the 3rd game of the World Series tomorrow.

Are the any other gaijin players who did well in the MLB after playing in Japan? I remember Cecil Fielder and Alfonso Soriano, but there must be more.
Comments
Re: Colby Lewis
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 30, 2010 2:06 AM ]

Are the any other gaijin players who did well in the MLB after playing in Japan?

What's your definition of "well"? Did Bill Gullickson and Matt Stairs do well in your opinion?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 30, 2010 7:31 AM | NIP Fan ]

I'm sure there's a fairly decent amount of players who would fit this, it's just hard to remember them all offhand.

Just off the top of my head Goose Gossage and Julio Franco come to mind (Gossage played for Daiei in 1990 before having 4 more years in his MLB hall-of-fame career and Franco played for Lotte in 1998 before coming back to the US for more years than anyone thought possible).

Less famous ones would be Dave Hansen (played for Hanshin in 1998, came back and spent 6 years primarily as a pinch-hitter for various MLB teams, but did pretty well in that role.

And I mean, it's not a loooong post-Japan career yet, and I'm a big fan of his so I'm biased, but Brian Sweeney pitched decently for the Seattle Mariners this year after coming back from the Fighters.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 30, 2010 5:41 PM ]

Don't forget the strange career of Gabe Kapler. Although his year in Japan was notoriously bad, he went back to play for the Red Sox again, retired, then came back and had some semi-productive years.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Nov 2, 2010 5:04 PM ]

Soriano is not a returnee majorleaguer, he came out of the Carp Academy and fell out of Hiroshima's favours, returned to the DR, then was scouted by the Yanks.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 3, 2010 11:23 PM | HAN Fan ]

The original question was not asking "returnee majorleaguers", just
"Are the any other gaijin players who did well in the MLB after playing in Japan?".

So Soriano does count!
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Nov 4, 2010 4:01 PM ]

Yes, you're correct. I need to read original posts more carefully.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.