Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

players switching leagues

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
players switching leagues
I am doing a school project on Japanese baseball. I am a huge MLB fan but i am not to involved in Japanese baseball. What do you think about Japanese players switching to the Majors. Do you think that it could make the Japanese league just a Major league farm system?
Comments
Re: players switching leagues
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 13, 2002 10:45 AM | YBS Fan ]

Check out any of the many "Doom and Gloom" and/or "Exitus" threads in the News and/or Nichi-Bei forums. There's very little to add to those many comments.
[ Author: Guest: Kevin | Posted: Feb 13, 2002 10:51 AM ]

hahahah. i feel your pain with that project.
[ Author: Guest: Ben Gonia | Posted: Feb 15, 2002 7:07 AM ]

hey anthony,
could you send me some information on:
how America and Japan exhibit similaraties and differences in the use of the sport of baseball, in a cultural and economic influence?

-------------------------------------------------------
benjamin GONIA

p.s.
email:
benji3playboy@hotmail.com
[ Author: Guest: mari | Posted: May 8, 2002 12:55 AM ]

same here, i feel your pain! i'm also writing a paper about the declining popularity of yakyuu in japan. it's only a 5 page paper (hey i'm not a grad student yet!!!) so i had to focus my reasons on the exodus of talent to the major leagues and the incoming J-League, with their commercial, yet competitive campaign to capture Japanese interest.... (not to mention this years World Cup)...
now that i look at it, i should have narrowed the topic more and pursued a bit more detail.

that way of wording it is very dramatic. i've heard that the Ce-League and Pa-League may be reduced to Minor League systems -- because, in all honesty, it seems to be any baseball players dreams to pursue a career in the Major leagues once they establish themselves in Japan. I think it's important that they don't skip the first step to ensure national integrity. Also, don't you think that the continually rising caliber improves the reputation of Japan in a sense?
[ Author: Guest: BrianH | Posted: May 8, 2002 11:24 AM ]

I think the people that run the Japanese League need to give the players what they want. They need to match the offers US teams are giving the players or offer them something better. If they keep losing their star players attendance and popularity will continue to go down
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: May 8, 2002 6:56 PM ]

Actually, attendance is up this year and Nippon Ham drew 50,000 at Tokyo Dome (though the actual draw was
probably Hayato Terahara) this past weekend in one game. The Golden Week crowds were pretty good and even
Orix is experiencing an upsurge. And I think attendance
will be better than last season as long as Hanshin can stay in the pennant race with the Giants (the two are tied). But if the air goes out of the Hanshin balloon rather quickly (and they are only about .500 since that seven game winning streak at the beginning), then you
could see things get a little depressing crowd-wise.

One thing that would help is if the Japanese teams would take a page out of the Mariners marketing playbook in terms of how it uses its players to advertise the ballclub. The commercials the M's have done are actually quite good. With the calcified mindset in Japanese baseball, though, it probably won't happen.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.