Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Marketing

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Marketing
How has the marketing of MLB stuff in Japan changed since good Japanese players are playing in America?
Comments
Re: Marketing
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Mar 14, 2002 2:12 PM ]

> How has the marketing of MLB stuff in Japan changed
> since good Japanese players are playing in America?

Well, I don't think there really was marketing of MLB stuff before Nomo went over, but I wasn't there then so I can't say for sure. When Nomo went to the Dodgers, Dodgers gear became very popular. When Irabu went to the Yankees, Yankees stuff started to sell, and has continued to sell as Yankees went on their run of 3 World Series (Japan loves a winner). St. Louis stuff started to sell when McGwire broke the record in 98. Mets gear started to sell when Nomo and Yoshii were teammates there (the Bobby V connection was also a factor, I think), and continued to sell when Shinjo crossed over. Seattle stuff started to sell when Sasaki went over and of course spiked when Ichiro started tearing up the league. I imagine this year will see continued sales of Mariners, Dodgers, and Yankees gear, with probably the Mets and Giants also making some sales.

The thing to remember is that in general Japanese fans don't root for American teams. They root for Japanese players. So when any team's Japanese player starts to do well, that team's merchandise starts to sell.

Of course, I must warn you that I know no concrete sales figures; this only my impression from what I have seen people wear and what has been available in sporting goods stores.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.