Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Past NPB-MLB Series

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Past NPB-MLB Series
Hi everyone:

I'm helping a guy with a baseball book he has coming out in March and he is apparently looking for information on the NPB-MLB series that have been held in the past. I have already been able to provide him with quite a bit of info, but he has posed some questions I haven't been able to find any online sources for. If someone could help us out here, it would be much appreciated. So here they are:

1. The San Francisco Giants came over during Spring Training in 1970, where they didn't do too well (one, it was spring training; two, the weather was cold and a number of players came down with injuries). Does anyone know what the schedule was on that in terms of dates and teams the SF Giants played against? Moreover, who on the Japanese side were the best at victimizing the SF Giants during those games?

2. I also have some questions about the series that pitted the Baltimore Orioles against both the Yomiuri Giants (an eight game sweep by Baltimore) and an NPB all star team in 1971: One, was it called "the real world series" and how did it come to be named that? Two, did Pat Dobson throw three shutouts in that series?

3. Did the Yomiuri Giants play against the MLB all star team in the 1990 series as well as against the SF Giants in 1970? Again, dates would be helpful.

If anyone has any answers on the above questions, it would be EXTREMELY helpful.
Comments
Re: Past NPB-MLB Series
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 6, 2002 12:19 PM | HT Fan ]

Have you checked The Chrysanthemum and the Bat and You Gotta Have Wa? I don't remember specifics but both detail past NPB-MLB series. Hope it helps.

Out of curiosity, what's the name of the book?
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Oct 6, 2002 1:04 PM ]

I have YOU GOTTA HAVE WA and already checked it. I don't know what the title is, but the author has published a book on baseball trivia before. It may be a sequel to his other works, but I haven't really asked.
[ Author: mike_edwards | Posted: Oct 7, 2002 1:53 PM ]

Gary,

I was able to find some of the info you were looking for...

The SF Giants played the NPB All-Stars, and finished with a 3-6 record, the first time the Japanese stars had ever bested an American team. Not much else there, but here's the page.

The MLB lost the 1990 Nichibei series 3-4-1. Not sure if they played the Giants or not.

In 1971, the Baltimore Orioles toured Japan, finishing with a 12-2-4 record. Pat Dobson pitched a NO HITTER against the Yomiuri Giants, the first no hitter in Japanese/American competition.

Hope this is helpful to you.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Oct 8, 2002 3:16 AM ]

Mike, thank you so much for taking the time out to
help the author and I. It is very much appreciated.
[ Author: mike_edwards | Posted: Oct 8, 2002 1:52 PM ]

My pleasure, Gary.

Administrator/moderator; Thank you for cleaning up my last post.
[ Author: attiyeh | Posted: Oct 8, 2002 3:13 PM ]

Thank you all for your help. Thank you Gary for posting my questions here. I've learned some desired information and I've had some facts confirmed. The sequel to "Who Was Traded for Lefty Grove?" will come out next March, and will be titled "Ichiro, Satchel and The Babe". They're both sophisticated Q&As on the history of baseball, and of course that includes Japanese baseball.

The book's challenging Q&A format is built into a pair of major league season blocks, allowing you to devour fresh information and test your skills while simultaneously playing along in search of a pennant and world championship. It's a fun and quick-blasting read that you'll want to keep with you at all times, and read over again. I guarantee that! The frequent Did You Know tid-bits are a bargain in themselves.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mike Attiyeh
[ Author: Guest: tbirdkyle | Posted: May 10, 2003 1:53 AM ]

When I was 9, and living in Japan (my dad was in the Navy), we actually saw one of the Oriole - Tokyo Giants games on 14 october, 1971. I live near Merv Rettenmund here in San Diego. If you have any specific questions about that series (he remembers an amazing number of details) I can pass them on. E-mail me at tbirdkyle at yahoo dot com.

Cheers.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.