Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nori in Stripes?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Nori in Stripes?
I've been following the "Nori Nakamura to MLB" debate with interest in various forum topics. One thing that has played on my mind, however, is this: for the past month or so, Sankei Sports (admittedly not exactly a beacon of journalistic virtue) has been making statements about Nori coming to Hanshin. Yet the general consensus on this site has been that he will go to MLB... And then Gary Garland-san makes a very convincing argument that Nakamura will stay in Japan.

If Nori were to remain in Japan (as I think he will), where will he likely end up? Hanshin's powers that be have pledged that they will not scrooge on the money needed to acquire him (at least 1.25 billion yen), but I can also see him being the "rope" in a tug o' war.

Whadaya think?
Comments
Re: Nori in Stripes?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 15, 2002 10:31 PM | YBS Fan ]

Nikkan Sports has also mentioned the Tigers putting up big money to try to draw Nori and Kanemoto. They've said the same thing about Yokohama, too. And without naming names, Lotte was accused of possibly getting in on playing the free agent game this off season as well.

Personally, I think that Nakamura is playing money games with the owners, and will end up staying in Japan. (Having said that, he'll go to the Majors for 1/4th his current salary.)

Nakamura, Yokohama needs you.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 16, 2002 9:10 AM | HT Fan ]

There it is again in today's Sanspo: Kuma-owner prepares a blank cheque for the Hanshin Tigers to acquire Nori Nakamura, Kanemoto, and Petagine. Well, you gotta aim high, I suppose.

I'd be glad if we could get one of those guys. If the baseball gods work a miracle and we get more than one, I'd say it's goodbye to George Arias (that would be a real shame however. Sure he had a loooooooong slump, but 30 HRs is a good achievement).
[ Author: mike_edwards | Posted: Oct 17, 2002 12:14 PM ]

The Tigers would be scary with those guys added to their lineup.

BTW, did I misread, or did one of the Japanese sports dailies yesterday say that Yakult's stopper Takatsu wants to take a shot at the majors? I think he's past his prime and wouldn't be of much value over there at this point in his career, but it looks like he wants to go (I don't know if he intends to leave Yakult if his MLB bid fails...).
Takatsu Thinking Majors
[ Author: Guest: Dusanh | Posted: Oct 17, 2002 1:45 PM ]

Mmm... Takatsu wants a shot at the majors? The last time I saw him pitch on TV was the '93 Japan Series, when they beat the mighty Seibu Lions. He was absolutely untouchable, shutting down a Seibu line-up in late innings that had Ishige, Kiyohara, and Akiyama, all in their primes. Ten years has passed since then, so he's probably not as dominating anymore. I would be interested to see how MLB hitters deal with his "sinker" though, don't think anybody throws it in North America.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 22, 2002 1:42 PM | HT Fan ]

From Kyodo News:

Kintetsu owner Tashiro to ask infielder Nakamura to stay
OSAKA Oct. 21 Kyodo - Kintetsu Buffaloes owner Wa Tashiro said Monday he will ask infielder Norihiro Nakamura, who has qualified for free agency this season, to stay with the Pacific League club.

"Nakamura is Kintetsu's pin-up and a big star in Osaka," said Tashiro, who added he is "confident" he will be able to persuade Nakamura to stay when the two meet to discuss the matter in the next few weeks.

Is this type of owner posturing common?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 22, 2002 4:20 PM | HT Fan ]

Yep.

But then, so are "free agents" who stay on with their old team.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 30, 2002 9:22 AM | HT Fan ]

Nori Nakamura will not be in Hanshin stripes next season. SanSpo today reports that Hoshino-kantoku and the team owner have decided to concentrate on acquiring Kanemoto from Hiroshima and Roberto Petagine from Yakult.

SanSpo hints at a difference of opinion between Hoshino and the powers-that-be. It quotes Hoshino as saying "The door to the safe wouldn't open. Maybe the key didn't fit."

It then goes on to quote Kuma-owner as saying "Hoshino-kantoku said the safe door wouldn't open? Well perhaps he needs a new key."

However, after a meeting yesterday, the two appear to have agreed on the strategy to reinforce the team.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 19, 2002 9:35 AM | HT Fan ]

Perhaps I should have started this thread in the "Rumors" column, 'cos that's all it seems to be.

After all that tossing and turning and umming and erring; after abandoning Nori for Petagine, and then abandoning Petagine, Hanshin are going to enter into negotiations with Nori on the 21st of this month (ref. Sankei Sports).

Let us not forget, though, that Kintetsu have offered him 3.6 billion yen over 6 years, and Yomiuri offered him 3 billion over 5. However, I think it's safe to discount the Giants: Nabetsu said Nori's welcome as long as he doesn't dye his hair. Nori went out and dyed it the next day.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.