Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Hi there Commish, thanks for doing this forum, always glad to learn more about baseball. And I know very little about Japanese baseball so it's really great.

Just wanted to know who you think will end up getting the bidding rights to Daisuke Matsuzaka?
Comments
Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 20, 2006 7:56 AM | YBS Fan ]

There are so many other threads discussing Matsuzaka's posting, that you really don't need my opinion. My basic stance is that once a player sign with an MLB club, he's outside my sphere of interest, so one team over there is the same as any other.

Matsuzaka worked out at Seibu Dome yesterday, and the press gathered around him and started asking him about being posted again. Again, Daisuke said that he didn't want to take away anything from the upcoming Nippon Series, and he won't have anything to say on the matter until after it's over. Personally, I'd like to accommodate his wishes and wait and see what happens - when it happens.

Did I evade the question well enough?
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Oct 22, 2006 3:17 AM ]

Here's an article about Matsuzaka from Yahoo! Sports (in English). This article confirms what we already know - Matsuzaka will likely end up with the Yankees.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 22, 2006 7:49 AM | SFT Fan ]

- This article confirms what we already know - Matsuzaka will likely end up with the Yankees.

Did a leak happen in the press that I was unaware of? Otherwise, we have no clue where Matsuzaka will end up. This is getting old. Until we see the winning bid, stop with Matsuzaka could end up with the Yankees. He could very well end up there, but isn't a slam dunk yet.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Oct 22, 2006 3:51 PM ]

When it comes to money, everyone assumes the Yankees will obviously win out. Matsuzaka also seems to want a big stage, so Yankee Stadium is also the biggest. It'll be interesting to see what happens. It would be nice to see him end up elsewhere, especially if he proves to be successful. There has been a bit of a jinx for new Yankees pitchers the last couple years. Although I'd like to see him do well in the U.S., anyone wearing pinstripes is an instant enemy of course!
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Oct 23, 2006 9:08 PM ]

As a Met fan, I would love to have him. The money will be there. We will build a better pitching staff in 2007. Daisuke is high on the list; depending who you talk to, he is either 1, 2, or 3 along with getting Willis and re-signing Glavine.

However, some Mets fans feel we burned our bridges on the handling of Kaz Matsui, a former Lion, and this may play in his decision. I just think when he talks with the Yankee Matsui, what ever comes out of that conversation will have a big impact.

However, no matter who he signs with, it's going to be big, big bucks for the Lions.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Oct 24, 2006 2:31 PM | SL Fan ]

If Matsuzaka's professional about it (and his actions seem to indicate that) instead of being dictated by emotions, then I don't think the Mets will be in any worse of a position if they win the bid. But the Japanese media and public may get all emotional about it, as they tend to still do over pro sports, the country's still not used to the concept of mercenary pro athletes.

I'd like to see Matsuzaka in the NL, too. He'd do better, and it'll be interesting to see how he hits!
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Oct 26, 2006 8:05 AM ]

Great day for the New York Mets. Daisuke has picked Scott Boras as his agent. Scott and GM Omar have a good relationship. He'll look good in Met Orange.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 26, 2006 8:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

Matsuzaka is not a free agent. Boras cannot pick and choose a place for Matsuzaka to go to, no matter how cozy he is with the Mets' GM. All he can do is suggest a bid that will beat out the others'.
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Oct 27, 2006 1:26 AM ]

I think Mr. Boras already advised him not to play in the up coming all star games with the MLB team.

My understanding of the way this works (the posting) is that every team will have 72 hours to make a sealed bid, not to sign him, but to negotiate with him for 30 days and have the Lions accept the bid. If the Lions accept the bid, then Boras takes over.

Along with his gyro ball, he has more control of his pitches then some high price MLB pitchers.

There is talk that teams like the Orioles, Royals, and Mariners will bid high. But would he want to play with these teams? If he doesn't accept them, then he has to stay another year with the Lions.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 30, 2006 7:12 AM | SFT Fan ]

- There is talk that teams like the Orioles, Royals, and Mariners will bid high. But would he want to play with these teams? If he doesn't accept them, then he has to stay another year with the Lions.

The thing is, the Royals are a small-market team and won't be serious contenders in the bidding. Plus, how sure are you that Matsuzaka won't sign with Seattle? They're owned by Nintendo, one of Japan's biggest companies, and will be able to bid right up there with the Yankees.

Furthermore, the Orioles are different from the Royals. They have plenty of money to spend with the new MASN TV network. They can make a competitive bid. Whether it is on the level of the Mariners and Yankees is unlikely. Though, Baltimore has way more money to spend than Kansas City. What it all comes down to is will Angelos give the front office any permission to spend money. There's a reason why fans are starting to protest again our team management. I would know, I've been one of those fans.

Plus, even though reports say Boras would threaten to sit Matsuzaka out for a year, it is highly unlikely. Matsuzaka has said for years that his wish is to play in the major leagues. It is unlikely that he would walk away from a deal with a major league team. It is more rhetoric from Boras and the way in which he acts.
[ Author: Guest: EvilHomer | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 7:25 AM ]

So the posting process for Matsuzaka could start as early as Wednesday. What I'm curious about is whether Seibu has the ability to reject any bids? For example, say the Red Sox decided they wanted to thwart the Yankees' attempts to get Matsuzaka by submitting a $200 million bid and then only offering Matsuzaka/Boras only say $1 million/year over say 7 years. Obviously Boras would not allow Matsuzaka to take this offer and after 30 days the Red Sox would get back their posting fee and Matsuzaka would have to return to the Lions or just sit out a year.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 10:32 AM | SL Fan ]

There's a "negotiations must be conducted in good faith" article in the posting rules. I'm sure that doesn't have to be interpreted liberally to prevent cases like that.
[ Author: Guest: John Doe | Posted: Nov 5, 2006 4:40 AM ]

Hi, I heard that Daisuke Matsuzaka hasn't faced MLB hitters before except for a couple of hitters that were in Mexico's lineup during the WBC. Is this true? If not, is there any statistic/box score remaining from the games between Japan vs. MLB All-Stars in which he may have participated? Any information would be really appreciated. Thank you.
[ Author: Guest: Ross | Posted: Nov 16, 2006 12:19 AM ]

You are correct. From what I can tell, and I'm no expert, it looks like in the WBC he has only faced 3 players that were currently on an MLB roster. I didn't think about looking at the Japan-USA All-Star barnstorming games. I've been trying to find out how players like Matsui and Suzuki [Ichiro] hit him while they were over there. Any body know anything about that?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 16, 2006 12:24 PM | SFT Fan ]

Matsuzaka pitched in the 2004 Nichi-Bei Series, throwing a complete game, winning 3-1 [Box Score- MLB.com].

Matsuzaka faced major leaguers: Jorge Cantu, Vinny Castilla, Erubiel Durazo, Adrian Gonzalez, and Juan Castro in the game against Mexico. [Japan-Mexico WBC Box Score - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: John Doe | Posted: Nov 21, 2006 3:14 PM ]

Thanks for the info! I never thought ESPN still had the box score.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 16, 2006 7:06 PM | YBS Fan ]

The following chart of Matsuzaka vs. Ichiro for regular season games is from Nikkan Sports on November 16, 2006 (paper edition):
    Date  AB  H HR RBI K
1999.5.16 3 0 0 0 3
6.23 3 1 0 1 0
7.06 4 1 1 1 0
8.06 2 0 0 0 0
8.20 3 1 0 0 0
2000.4.07 4 1 0 0 1
5.21 3 1 0 1 0
6.24 4 2 0 1 0
7.20 4 0 0 0 0
8.04 4 1 0 0 0
Totals 34 8 1 4 4 (.235 avg.)
Interesting that he struck Ichiro out three times on their first meeting, then not again until the first meeting the next year.

Still, a .235 average shows that Matsuzaka dominated this duel.
[ Author: Guest: james | Posted: Nov 18, 2006 3:18 PM ]

Hello guys, check this out:
http://matsuzakadaisuke.com

I found a new Matsuzaka Daisuke website (comming soon).
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 22, 2006 9:13 PM ]

I've seen the guy on TV against Cuba in as big a game as there ever has been, and on You Tube against Hanshin and Chiba Lotte. He's got wicked stuff and great location and would be tough to hit in any league in any era. Can't wait to see him live and in person in Philly or Camden Yards next year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.