Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

American Born Playing in Koshien?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
American Born Playing in Koshien?
Commish,

Has an American-born player ever played at Koshien? If so, do you have a list of Americans who have?

Thank you,
Eric
Comments
Re: American Born Playing in Koshien?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 2, 2006 5:47 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hmm. Looks like I really need to start investing in Koshien books.

I can tell you that Korea and Manchuria had representative teams between 1921 and 1936, as did Taiwan between 1923 and 1936 (Taiwan making it to the Best 4 in 1929). [Source: "Koko Yakyu ga Maru Goto Wakaru Jiten," Nihon Jigyo Shuppan, 2005, H. Morioka, ISBN4-534-03930-1]

I've heard of South American nissei playing at Koshien. Also of Taiwanese students studying in Japan and playing baseball. There have been numerous half Japanese play, the latest being Nippon Ham's Darvish (father is Iranian, mother is Japanese). I can't recall ever hearing about a North American, though.
Re: American Born Playing in Koshien?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 3, 2006 6:02 PM | SFT Fan ]

I managed to find one, Chikayoshi Handa according to Japan Baseball Daily. The best chance of any other American playing at Koshien would be a nisei Japanese American. Also most of the cases would probably be where they are from Hawaii.

Also, I suggest you look through the player database [Japan Baseball Daily], there might be something of more help there.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.