Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Players in Military Service During WW II ?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Players in Military Service During WW II ?
Just trying to determine if the gaps in the records of the following players are due to service in the Japanese military during WW II:
  • Tetsuharu Kawakami (1943-44)
  • Fumio Fujimura (1939-42)
  • Haruyasu Nakajima (1944)
  • Jiro Noguchi (1944)
While any information is appreciated, it would be even better if someone could cite the source for their answers or direct me to an English source for that information. Thanks.

Jim Albright
Comments
Re: Players in Military Service During WW II ?
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 1:17 AM ]

Yes, they are due to military service. I just checked the web in Japanese but no luck on the source. Also, please note that Shokugyo Yakyu (Pro-ball) was officially terminated by the Japanese government in 1944.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 17, 2003 5:41 AM ]

Sorry for the mistake. Noguchi did not serve duriing WWII.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 17, 2003 5:52 AM ]

I know that the following NPB legends served the country during WWII:
  • Tetsuharu Kawakami
  • Hiroshi Ohshita
  • Noboru Aota
  • Fumio Fujimura
  • Shigeru Chiba
  • Masayoshi Yoshiwara
  • Eiji Sawamura
  • Makoto Kozuru
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 2:06 AM ]

Two other players caught my attention:
  1. Did Kaoru Betto serve in Japan's military in WWII (thereby possibly delaying his entry into NPB)?
  2. Is it possible that Hideo Fujimoto did not serve in Japan's military in WWII? If he did not, might this be a major reason he is not in the Japanese Hall of Fame?

Jim Albright

[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 6:48 PM ]

Hi Jim:

Kawakami reported for miltary service in October, 1942 and was stationed in Kumamoto (where he had gone to high school). He actually taught at an Imperial Army Air school beginning in March, 1944. Once the war ended, he apparently farmed in Kumamoto for a bit before being invited to rejoin the Giants.

As for Noguchi, I have no record of him serving in the source I'm using right now (I'll have to check into that later). He did spend time in the outfield, though, and even had a then record 31 game hitting streak (August 29 to October 26, 1946).

I also have no record that Betto served, though I'll check on that as well. Betto played in the industrial leagues for a time with Zen-Osaka before joining Hanshin, so that may be the delay of which you speak. But again, I'll have to check further.

Fujimura served a tour in China and was wounded, almost losing his life. He was then called up again in 1945 for another service stint (being drafted multiple times was hardly rare; I came across one player who was drafted on three different occasions).

I hope this helps.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 17, 2003 5:35 AM ]

Betto joined the Imperial Navy in 1942. He came back and graduated from Keio University in 1946 and went home to take over his family lumber business before joing the All-Osaka semi-pro team in 1947 and the Hanshin Tigers in 1948. [Link - Tigers' History (in Japanese)]
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 6:53 PM ]

On Nakajima, between the time he left Waseda University and before he joined the Giants, he played in the industrial leagues with Fujikura Densen. Later on, he became the Giants' manager in 1943. I don't see any record of military service.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 11:15 PM ]

Gary:

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Thanks for the info. Did you check on Hideo Fujimoto?

Jim Albright
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 17, 2003 5:41 AM ]

Fujimoto did not serve in WWII.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 17, 2003 5:36 AM ]

Hideo Fujimoto is in the JHOF. He is registered as Hideo Nakagami (married to a girl named Nakagami?).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.