Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Number of Coaches

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Number of Coaches
Is there a limit on the number of coaches allowed in the bench during the season? Or the number of coaches on the team?

I was thinking about Hanshin this season. It seems they have Tabuchi, Wada, and O'Malley as hitting coaches, of which O'Malley is not in uniform. I guess during practices he's on the field but during games he's sitting behind somewhere.

In pitching, I know Saito (the ex-Braves, Orix) pitcher comes out when there is a conference on the mound, but I've seen Nishimoto (I think) in the bullpen.

There's Nagashima at 1st base, Okada at 3rd base.

Any one know the right number?
Comments
Re: Number of Coaches
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 30, 2003 11:21 PM | YBS Fan ]

I don't know if there is such a limit or not. This season, Daiei has 15 (Oh-kantoku included) while Hanshin has 22. It seems to me that the Giants, who have 21 this year, have had more than 22 in past seasons.

I think I've read about a limit to the number of people allowed on the bench during a game, but the number doesn't come to me. That may be why O'Malley isn't on the bench.
Re: Number of Coaches
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 31, 2003 2:20 AM | HT Fan ]

Right. When he was hired last season, O'Malley was just supposed to work with the guys for spring training. This really worked out well, however, and he was formally hired. But Hanshin already had a full compliment of coaches, and O'Malley pushed them over the number allowed on the bench during a game (sorry, I also don't know what the number is).

Last season, O'Malley was listed as team scorer so he could sit on the bench (but not in uniform), but it appears they're not doing that this season.
Number of Coaches and Number of players?
[ Author: Guest: UMASS | Posted: Jul 31, 2003 12:19 PM ]

Why do they need so many coachs? They would have different guides, so how do the batters follow?

By the way, how many players are allowed in the bench? How many pitchers can pitch in a game?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.