Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Who Made the Play?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Who Made the Play?
I was in Meridiano TV (Caracas, Venezuela), invited to talk about the Japanese baseball. During the TV Show I watched the best play I had ever seen, a Japanese player jumping in the bleachers to catch a ball. It was really unbelievable. Better than Swoboda, Agee, and Willie Mays plays. What is the name of this Japanese player?
Comments
Re: Who Made the Play?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 15, 2007 3:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

I need a little more information than this. For starters, was it an old clip? Or did it happen this season?

The first such play that comes to the top of my head was Inada diving into the cameraman's box [YouTube] in Game 2 of Stage 2 of this year's Pacific League Climax Series (play offs). Was that the clip you were referring to?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 16, 2007 11:21 AM | CLM Fan ]

Perhaps the Yamamori catch?
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Nov 17, 2007 4:41 AM ]

Yes, that is the name given to me, but I could not get any information about this player. Thanks a lot.
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Nov 17, 2007 4:37 AM ]

It was an old clip. The player, according to my brother, was Yamamori, but I could not get any information about him.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Nov 17, 2007 12:26 PM | HAN Fan ]

Here is the YouTube video.
[ Author: Guest: Greji | Posted: Nov 18, 2007 7:02 PM ]

That was an oldie but goody. I recognize the pitcher for Hankyu as Yamada (former Chunichi manager), so that dates it to the 1970s-80s time frame, in the Braves' old ball park.

Still a great catch at any date!
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 12:05 PM | NIP Fan ]

Well, it says "September 16, 1981" at the beginning of the clip, so that's a pretty good indication of when it was.

And yeah, that is Hisashi Yamada, isn't it! I don't think I'd ever actually seen the rest of the play before. (The highlight reels would just show the catch and that's all.)
[ Author: Thomas | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:48 AM | CLM Fan ]

You can find stats (and some other information, such as his birth date) on Yamamori Masafumi on the Japan Baseball Daily Data Warehouse.

And, of course, there are plenty of Japanese pages mentioning him (search for 山森雅文).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.