Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tuffy No Longer Considered Foreign Player?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Tuffy No Longer Considered Foreign Player?
I saw a wire article about the opening of the Japanese season on Friday, with Darvish facing Iwakuma in the opener. Should be a good game. What really caught my eye, though, was the statement that Tuffy Rhodes with 12 years of service in Japan is no longer considered a foreign player, meaning that Orix can have an extra foreign player on their roster. Is this the case?
Comments
Re: Tuffy No Longer Considered Foreign Player?
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:26 PM ]

Yes, believe it or not, that's true! After just 10 years in NPB, foreign players magically become Japanese and are not considered a foreign player anymore.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Apr 4, 2009 12:37 AM | NIP Fan ]

Not 10, it's actually 8 now (got reduced last year). Orix has two "non-foreigners" in Alex Cabrera and Tuffy Rhodes now.

It's basically when they have enough service time that they would be a free agent if they were Japanese, that they essentially become Japanese.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Apr 4, 2009 1:55 PM | FSH Fan ]

And Tuffy actually speaks pretty good Japanese as well.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Apr 4, 2009 5:40 PM ]

Alex Ramirez of Yomiuri fits the bill as well.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Apr 5, 2009 1:13 AM ]

As far as I know, Tuffy's Japanese is not too good. If he speaks that well Japanese then why is it that he complains in English to the umpires and answers in Japanese in hero interviews on the otachidai? He should be speaking more Japanese.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 13, 2009 4:21 PM ]

Actually you're wrong. I am friends with him and he does speak fluent Kansai dialect Japanese.
[ Author: heavesrock | Posted: Apr 14, 2009 5:55 AM ]

Maybe if he complains to an umpire who only speaks Japanese in English they won't know what he says and eject him for it?
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Apr 15, 2009 3:31 PM | YAK Fan ]

Hehe, I've done that a few times myself when playing kusa-yakyu.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Apr 15, 2009 6:09 PM ]

Maybe if he complains to an umpire who only speaks Japanese in English they won't know what he says and eject him for it?

Tuffy is infamous for being ejected, so it's not working!
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Apr 15, 2009 7:35 PM ]

I have not heard Tuffy speak a lot of Japanese in hero interviews, nor have I heard him speak Japanese. I have heard him use Japanese words here and there, but that I would not call a fluent Japanese speaker. He probably can get by ordering food in an Izakaya in Osaka, but I am sorry for being cynical here. Until I hear him speak Japanese on TV, maybe on a TV show where he actually speaks Japanese and not English relying on an interpreter, I am not going to think he is fluent in Japanese.

More players should not be afraid of speaking Japanese and stop relying so much on interpreters if they say they are fluent.

That goes for Japanese players in US, too. I hear Ichiro speaks English, so why does he use an interpreter?
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Apr 16, 2009 12:59 AM ]

That way players can blame the interpreter if anything is taken the wrong way by the media or the public.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.