Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Style of Baseball

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Style of Baseball
I am a high school coach in Texas. I am very intrigued by the style of play of the Japanese. I am looking for any resources that may give me input to the Japanese style of hitting, mental approach, and example of practices. They are so sound in all aspects of the game. I'd like info to model for my HS program.
Comments
Re: Japanese Style of Baseball
[ Author: Guest: DEEZ | Posted: Jun 4, 2009 5:17 PM ]

You do not want to submit your kids to the Japanese style of baseball. I have watched them and they run everything like they are in the Army. Also, if you are looking for resources then you probably should not be coaching. Baseball is American, so keep it American.
[ Author: Guest: cj | Posted: Jun 4, 2009 10:36 PM ]

If I'm not looking for resources to try to better myself and my kids for my kids I shouldn't be coaching!
[ Author: Guest: RED | Posted: Jun 5, 2009 2:17 PM ]

Stick to the resources available to you in the US. Japanese baseball is quantity over quality whereas in the US it is quality over quantity. In Japan they only focus on fielding and bunting, they leave out the base running aspect of it. If the players are not told what to do, they have no idea how to do it.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 5, 2009 8:38 AM ]

American, but : WBC Champion = Japan.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 5, 2009 1:43 PM | HAN Fan ]

Probably best to follow Trey Hillman's example of incorporating the best of both baseball worlds.

Also, read this thread that I posted a few months ago about an American kid's experience in Japanese high school baseball.
[ Author: Guest: RED | Posted: Jun 5, 2009 2:12 PM ]

WBC? The best that America has did not even play. You put the best vs the best and we shall see what would happen. The regular baseball season is way more important than the WBC in the US.
[ Author: Guest: CJ | Posted: Jun 6, 2009 1:27 AM ]

For those that somewhat bash Japanese baseball, why are you on this site?

Work only bunting and fielding - hmmmm? You have to record outs, and in HS baseball you'd better be able to small ball, college too (Texas, Cal State, Cal Irvine). I'm IN!
[ Author: Guest: CJ | Posted: Jun 6, 2009 1:31 AM ]

Good thread and atricle. Sounds structured, rigorous, and demanding with players accountable for appearing, performing and working. If they aren't working to be great or better why play?

Again, want some resources!
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 6, 2009 9:31 AM | HAN Fan ]

Where in Texas is your high school? Probably the best thing is to hook up with a player or coach that played in Japan that could give you a clinic.

Let me know where you are and I will try to locate someone with Japanese experience.
[ Author: Guest: Baseball | Posted: Oct 6, 2010 10:25 AM ]

[I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.]

Baseball is not American, it's Canadian!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 6, 2009 10:26 AM | YBS Fan ]

Baseball Magazine Sha has a monthly magazine called Baseball Clinic which is targeted toward junior high, high school, and amateur level coaching. There are many photos and diagrams to show how to do the various training exercises, but all of the explanation is in Japanese. Contrary to what some may want to believe, base running and making good contact with the ball (other than in bunt situations) are taught.

I don't know if SportsClick will mail overseas (to the U.S.), but you may be able to bring in a print out of the above page to your local Kinokunia or other Japanese book store and order it through them.

Good luck.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jun 8, 2009 3:21 PM | HT Fan ]

I subscribe to Shukan Baseball via Kinokuniya in the US, the price is reasonable ($230 for a year, which is 50 issues), but home shipping is pricey so I always pick it up at the store. Here's Kinokuniya's website. Unfortunately there is limited English on the site.

I don't understand why this thread has gotten these negative responses. The Japanese practice sessions are indeed insane, but Japanese players and fans have a tremendous passion for the game. I give the coach kudos for thinking a little bit outside the box and trying to learn new approaches.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jun 12, 2009 8:02 PM | SFT Fan ]

- I don't understand why this thread has gotten these negative responses. The Japanese practice sessions are indeed insane, but Japanese players and fans have a tremendous passion for the game. I give the coach kudos for thinking a little bit outside the box and trying to learn new approaches.

There's always some sour grapes out there that attack, in this case, Japanese practice sessions. It's all apples and oranges, no one is forcing anyone to adopt any type of training. The coach was trying to think outside the box and I commend him on that. And like Kiyoshi said, it's probably best to follow Hillman-san's practices.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.