Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Andy Phillips to come to Japan

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Andy Phillips to come to Japan
I heard it through a reliable source that Andy Phillips, former New York Yankee, is coming to Japan to play for a team. Any news as to what team?
Comments
Re: Andy Phillips to come to Japan
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 20, 2009 7:30 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, there was a Jason Phillips (P) on Orix back in 2003-4.

Googling about I see that Andy Phillips was on a Hanshin list of possibilities back in 2006-7. But no Japanese team can afford to come close to the 18 to 19-oku yen the Yankees were paying him in 2007 (according to this post - in Japanese).

Do you have a source with a URL? Can you name your reliable source?
[ Author: The Que Pasa? Kid | Posted: Jun 20, 2009 12:32 PM ]

I say reliable, it's a relative that I know. Phillips was playing for the AAA Charlotte Knights (of the White Sox system) up until a few days ago. He is no longer on the roster. Relative said was he was going to Japan to play. He had considered going before spring training this year, but signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates, was traded to White Sox shortly after season began.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 20, 2009 4:46 PM | YBS Fan ]

I see in today's (June 20, 2009) Nikkan Sports (dead tree edition) that the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles have decided to sign Yankee AAA player Tod Linden (OF). No news on Andy Phillips.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 20, 2009 6:47 PM ]

I found a fan blog. So he filed for FA on June 15. As it points out, I think he has/had something in store. It's possible that he tried to contact some NPB team(s). After all, some teams showed interest in him last off-season (e.g. Hiroshima).

But the fact that no Japanese media has reported it so far makes me speculate that there was no room for him at this point and the talk died down before it surfaced in the media.
[ Author: Guest: Z | Posted: Jun 23, 2009 8:56 PM ]

JapanBall has a story about this taken from Kyodo News. Looks like a deal is close, at least according to the quote from the Hiroshima team owner.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 24, 2009 3:13 AM ]

The deadline for placing players on their roster is the end of this month. I hope Phillips' agent is familiar with the NBP.
[ Author: Guest: Carp Fan | Posted: Jun 24, 2009 9:47 AM ]

Actually, last year they quietly changed the roster addition deadline to July 31.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 24, 2009 10:05 AM ]

Correction. The end of July is the deadline.

They moved it because of the Olympics and haven't changed it since then.
[ Author: Guest: Tim | Posted: Jun 23, 2009 9:25 PM ]

Hiroshima is showing interest in Andy Phillips.
[ Author: Guest: Golden Child | Posted: Jul 2, 2009 4:22 AM ]

Hiroshima Carp.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.