Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ryan Wing in Japan?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Ryan Wing in Japan?
Is Ryan Wing still in Japan? I noticed his name still listed on the Fighter's roster but no stats either with the big club or the farm team.
Comments
Re: Ryan Wing in Japan?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 5, 2009 10:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, if you go to his player page, it says that he's at ni-gun (the farm), and has been there since the season began. If he were released, I'd update that (as can be seen in profiles for Ken Ikeda and Scott Dohmann).

(I know that the player pages still need some organizational work to better fit with the rest of the site redesign. Like many people, I'm working longer hours for less pay and more stress. I'd like to set aside some time to fix the many problems with the site, but I'm really getting burnt out.)

Nonetheless, a quick scan of news articles shows mention of Ryan in the following articles:Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: Bill | Posted: Jul 6, 2009 10:12 AM ]

Thanks for the update - you do a fantastic job on the site! I go to it everyday to catch up on Pro Yakyu news.

I was just trying to follow Ryan Wing's career and noticed that the NPB English site lists Wing on the Fighters roster but doesn't show statistics either with the Fighters or on the farm. I was just wondering if he has played at all this year.

The link you gave me to Sim Central for June 4 talks of a shoulder problem so perhaps that answered my question.

Thanks again.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jul 6, 2009 8:15 PM | NIP Fan ]

Ryan hasn't pitched in a game this year, no, neither with the farm team nor with the top team. He got injured before the season started and I think he's currently still in the US right now. He was working out with the farm team earlier in the year and I even saw him at Chiba Marine Stadium at one point, but it's unclear whether he'll be able to contribute at all this season.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 9, 2009 10:44 AM | YBS Fan ]

I just filed this report based on a notice in today's (July 9, 2009) Nikkan Sports:
Out since spring training with pain in his left shoulder, Ryan Wing returned to the U.S. for testing on July 3rd. The results, while not detailed to the press, suggest that Wing requires surgery before season's end.

Hope this helps.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.