Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bay Stars vs Carp 16th August

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Bay Stars vs Carp 16th August
Hi - less a post, more of a question to Michael.

I find myself having to go to Tokyo over the weekend of August 15th and 16th for a family wedding. My wife would kill me if she knew I was thinking of a little side trip to Yokohama to see a game, but ... Maybe I can persuade her brother to ask me if I want to see a game?

How easy do you think it would be to get tickets for the game on August 16th? Is it easy to get to the stadium from the main shinkansen station?

Many thanks in advance!
Comments
Re: Bay Stars vs Carp 16th August
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 21, 2009 10:20 AM | YBS Fan ]

A game in August against the Carp shouldn't be difficult to get tickets to. But if you want to commit early (and get the wife's protests out of the way), you should be able to pick up tickets, if not now then next week, at any convenience store.

You didn't specify which "main" shinkansen station. From Shin-Yokohama (新横浜) there are two lines that will get you to Kannai (関内) Station, where Yokohama Stadium is located.
  1. Yokohama Municipal Subway (横浜市営地下鉄) Blue Line - All of the trains going in the Yokohama direction will go to Kannai. This is perhaps the easiest.

2. JR Yokohama Line (横浜線)/Keihin Tohoku/Negishi Line (京浜東北・根岸線) - If you prefer to stay above ground, take the Yokohama Line toward Yokohama. However, many of the trains only go as far as Higashi Kanagawa (東神奈川), while many others only go as far as Sakura-Gicho (桜木町)(requiring two transfers if you catch them just right). In either case, it's just a transfer to the other side of the platform.

From Tokyo, it again depends on which "main" shinkansen station you're referring to. But while there are faster ways to get from Tokyo to Yokohama (like the JR Tokaido Line (東海道線)), you'll have to change to the Heihin Tohoku/Negishi Line (or Blue Line) at Yokohama to get to Kannai Station. Since the Keihin Tohoku line goes through all of the major JR stations on the eastern side of the Yamanote (山手) loop, it's best to just ride it all the way in. Beware that some trains only go as far as Sakura-Gicho, though, which is one stop short of Kannai.

Yahoo Transit shows a few routes:
[ Author: Guest: Cardiff Carp | Posted: Jul 21, 2009 6:42 PM ]

Wow - many thanks for all that information, I'm very grateful.

May well be staying in Shinjuku, so looks like the easiest way is Shonan-Shinjuku Line to Yokohama then Keihin-Tohoku Negishi Line to Kannai. I won't be in Japan for a couple of weeks, so will try to get tickets then.

Which part of the ground do the Carp fans usually sit? I assume it is 3rd base outfield seats?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 21, 2009 7:16 PM | YBS Fan ]

When I worked in Shinjuku, I thought that the Shonan-Shinjuku Line would be great. The problem is, it doesn't run very often. As of a few years ago, there were only about 10 trains running that route, usually 30-45 minutes between trains in the mornings and evenings only. If you know their schedule and time things right, it's very convenient. But I tended to take the Yamanote Line around to Shinagawa to return to Yokohama.

An alternative route that I've been using more often is to take the Tokyu-Toyoko Line between Yokohama and Shibuya. It now turns into the Minato-Mirai Line south of Yokohama, so you can stay on it to Nihon Ohdori, which is just a couple blocks north-east of Yokohama Stadium. It's currently the second one listed here [Yahoo! Transit] (that may change during times that the Shonan-Shinjuku Line isn't running).

And, yes, Yokohama Stadium uses the traditional home on the first base side, visitors on the third base side.

Have a good time.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.