Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

BS Baseball Schedule?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
BS Baseball Schedule?
Does anyone know how BS decides which NPB games to air? Is the full schedule decided at the beginning of the year? I was just curious, as we have two important games tonight with CS ramifications (Softbank--Rakuten and Hanshin--Yakult), but instead they are showing the meaningless Fighters--Buffaloes game. Of course if I had satellite TV I wouldn't have this problem, but just wondering how they ended up showing such a dud tonight.
Comments
Re: BS Baseball Schedule?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 30, 2009 9:10 PM | YBS Fan ]

By "BS" I assume you mean NHK BS 1? Ah, yes, there it is in Nikkan Sports' TV/Radio listing.

I'm not fully sure how the BS system works anymore. It used to just be a few channels, but my Cable Guide has a lot of BS channels, many with games tonight, such as SoftBank vs. Rakuten on BS Eleven and Giants vs. Chunichi on BS-TBS.

The other satellite service, CS, has the various J-Sports flavors (where I'm watching the BayStars lose to Hiroshima as well as Lotte vs. Seibu), Sky-A (also SoftBank vs. Rakuten), GAORA (Orix vs. Nippon Ham), NewsBird (Giants vs. Chunichi), and Fuji Telebi One (Hanshin vs. Yakult). There are more channels that carry baseball, but not tonight.

My cable provider offers all of these (although some of them aren't included in the Basic package). It's hard to imagine life without cable any more, where all games are shown in their entirety, and there are so many to choose from. Flipping from one to another after one ends.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm not entirely sure how the scheduling is decided, but I believe that you are correct in guessing that NHK decides their games at the start of the season. Nippon Ham and Orix were the #1 and #2 teams last year, so it probably made sense to think that they may be battling it out at the end of the season again. Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 30, 2009 9:17 PM ]

As for the dud-ness, their side of the story is that they are a "public" broadcasting company, so it's important to broadcast every team's games regardless of its position. But if you actually count the number of games they broadcast, I think they broadcast the Tigers' games most. So they somehow seem to care about viewership ratings even though they are "public." So why not today? Maybe some terrestrial broadcasting company has exclusive rights.

As for when they decide, I don't think it's all at once at the beginning of the year. But to know what games to broadcast when, it's impossible to tell unless you are working for NHK.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Oct 1, 2009 9:54 AM ]

Yes, by BS I meant NHK BS1. If you buy a BS-enabled TV but don't have satellite, you get BS1 and BS2 only.

It's fine if they want to be fair and show a range of teams, but they should also take into consideration what the "public" would seemingly want to see--a game that matters!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.