Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tryouts?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Tryouts?
Michael,

I'm sure others have ask this question before, but I was wondering if there's any type of open tryouts for the league? If not, do you suggest I contact directly to the teams? I'm an agent here in California and I was hoping for some dates if there are any tryouts. Currently I have few former MLB and Triple A players that are capable of playing there.
Comments
Re: Tryouts?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 19, 2009 9:34 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hayashi-san,

My advice to players (as stated in the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions) is to get an agent. You're the first agent to ask how to get started.

Nonetheless, yes, there are general open tryouts, but usually in the fall, mainly geared toward Japanese players who had been released from their teams. But there are often a number of foreigners and independents joining in. Gen over at Yakyu Baka has translated a number of tryout articles to English. If any more are coming up, he'll most likely have the word out in English before anyone else.

Of course, fall tryouts aren't very useful now. But don't fret. Most teams will hold individual tryouts during spring training in February. Yes, you read that right, February. You'll need to contact the teams individually, so I'd suggest doing the necessary research into finding what teams are interested in before making contact, and then making sure your clients match the desired profiles. Your clients will also have to be in top physical condition by the start of February as well if they plan on making an impression.

Various Japanese teams will be in South America for the Winter Leagues leading up to spring training. You may be able to make some team contacts down there, and point out any boys you represent to the Japanese scouts in hopes to get a feel for what they're looking for. Having a contact who's seen you and/or your client at least once before spring training can only help.

Gambatte.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.