Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Independent Baseball in Japan?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Independent Baseball in Japan?
I currently pitch in the independent leagues in the US and I have heard about similar leagues in Japan such as the Kansai Independent Baseball League and the Shikoku-Kyushu Island League. Do these Japanese Independents employ foreign players? If so I am very interested in how I could go about making the transition.

I assume my experience level in the US minor leagues to date would not qualify me for the Japanese big leagues or their farm system, but probably would for indy ball.

Thanks for any feedback or information.
Comments
Re: Independent Baseball in Japan?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 4, 2010 1:18 AM | NIP Fan ]

They definitely employ foreigners -- when I saw the Kochi Fighting Dogs this past summer, they had a Venezuelan guy in the game named Francisco Caraballo (apparently used to be in the Astros system?). There aren't a lot of foreigners on the teams, but they do exist. I'm under the impression, though, that the players aren't paid a lot though -- like $1,500-2,000 a month, if that? Which might be why they don't really go hiring foreign players much, as that's barely enough to live on in a big city in Japan.

I have no idea how you actually get involved with the teams, but just wanted to let you know that it does seem to be a possibility.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 4, 2010 4:46 AM ]

Is this you? I hope someone more knowledgeable about the Japanese Independent leagues will chime in.

Anyway, you might have come across the name Dioni Soriano during your Google search:He is a product of the Carp Academy in Dominica. The Japanese Wiki page of the Shikoku Island League mentions some connection with Australia. And two months ago, the Kansai League announced that they would add a team that is made of ethnic Koreans.

Having said that, I don't think it's difficult to at least take part in open tryouts. A quick Google search shows that a fair number of foreign players have done that. You just need someone who understands Japanese to help you along the way (e.g. tryout announcement, transportation, etc.).
[ Author: Guest: Alex Smith | Posted: Jan 8, 2010 3:30 AM ]

Yes, that is me. Thank you very much for your help. I really do appreciate it!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.