Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Players Change to American Names?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Players Change to American Names?
Do Japanese players pick out American names when they pick up larger contracts? I'm trying to see stats on a Dicky Rodriguez, but I know that that is not his birth name and can not find info on-line. I just know that he has a new million dollar contract, wants to live in Florida, but would like to know what team awarded him the contract. How do I find out his original birth name?
Comments
Re: Japaneese Players Change to American Names?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 25, 2010 9:07 AM | YBS Fan ]

No, Japanese don't pick out American names when they get larger contracts. They may adopt a nickname that's easier for Americans to pronounce (like Kaz for Kazuo). But Dicky Rodriguez is most likely not of Japanese descent.

As a matter of face, I can't find a Dicky Rodriguez having played in Japan at all. The only two players with the last name of Rodriguez that I'm aware of are Boi Rodriguez and Nerio Rodriguez from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic respectively.

There is a Dicky Gonzalez who threw very well for Yakult and the Giants. He's also from Puerto Rico. Perhaps that's who you're thinking of?

As for finding out any foreign player's original birth name, Baseball-Reference is always a good place to start (although Dicky Gonzalez is listed as only Dicky Gonzalez). So I would suggest trying to contact him via what ever team he's on this season. (If he's returning to Japan, the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - covers where to write to.)

Hope this helps.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.