Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tuffy Rhodes in 2010?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Tuffy Rhodes in 2010?
Anyone know what's become of Tuffy Rhodes? Did he retire? Is he joining Orix or another team?
Comments
Re: Tuffy Rhodes in 2010?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 1, 2010 1:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Buffaloes have announced that they are not going to extend a contract to Tuffy. The Japanese press had said that they'd tried to get in contact with him a number of times over the off season, but finally gave up trying and are banking on Taguchi.

I haven't seen any rumors of anyone else interested. But he is approaching some interesting milestones, making for a good marketing opportunity should anyone want to pursue it.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Feb 1, 2010 2:40 PM | YOK Fan ]

Still technically a free agent I guess. Haven't heard anything to suggest that he's officially retiring or that another team has interest.

Don't know why Seibu didn't at least kick the tires on Tuffy. He could've brought in a lot in terms of attendance and merchandise sales IMHO.
[ Author: Guest: Tom | Posted: Feb 2, 2010 12:38 AM ]

I read where Tuffy Rhodes wanted to re-sign with Orix, but after signing So Taguchi Orix had no interest in Rhodes. If this is true, then Orix once again shows what a group of idiots they are. Tuffy was killing the ball last year before he got hit by a pitch. Taguchi is only 8 months younger and has never come close to the the seasons Tuffy has put together. Taguchi was an average to good player. Tuffy was great.

The Buffaloes have no one who can replace Tuffy's production. T. Okada has potential, but hasn't done anything. Baldiris did nothing at the top level. Shimoyama, Hamanaka and Taguchi are average. Looks like last place again. The front office deserves it.
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: Feb 2, 2010 12:48 AM ]

Orix front office said that players (Tuffy Rhodes ) who are defensive liabilities won't be in their plans. I didn't know DH's had to play defense. Good Orix, it's easy to find guys who hit 40 homers and drive in 100 RBI's.
[ Author: Guest: old salt | Posted: Feb 21, 2010 1:22 AM ]

Is he done then? I've been out of town and haven't seen anything about Ol' Tuff. This will be sadder than Tyrone Woods getting cut for me. Tuffy put in work.
[ Author: Guest: PGOODY | Posted: Feb 27, 2010 1:25 AM ]

Wow, if Tuffy doesn't sign back with the B's, I cringe at where he might wind up, dare I say... the BayStars? Hehe. Either way I just hope he's in PYS2010.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Feb 27, 2010 5:01 PM ]

If even Orix considered him a defensive liability, it's highly doubtful that any CL team (without the DH) would consider him. Too bad as I also would like to see him play this year. He can obviously still hit, but we probably have to consider a substantial pay cut to play anywhere.
[ Author: Guest: ND | Posted: Apr 4, 2010 12:34 AM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

In this interview [Baseball Happenings] done a few days ago, Rhodes indicated his plans for 2010 and beyond.
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: Apr 12, 2010 3:39 PM | LOT Fan ]

It's pretty sad nobody took a flyer on him this offseason. He was absolutely destroying the ball before his injury last season. He had, what, 12 HRs in April?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.