Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Probable Pitchers

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Probable Pitchers
I hope this question does not overly reveal my naivete. Even with a Japanese friend's help we just cannot find any schedule of upcoming pitchers on the Tigers or Giants websites. We're buzzed about the Thursday (April 8) game, having good tix in hand. But how do we find out who will twirl the opening? Or is this actually not revealed until game time in NPB? (MLB sites have pitchers listed for coming 4 - 5 days).

Anyway, is there a site where scheduled pitchers are listed for upcoming NPB games? Or am I just not finding the right link on the sites?

Thanks much for any help!
Comments
Re: Probable Pitchers
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 7, 2010 12:01 PM | YBS Fan ]

I regret that the Central League still uses the practice of not declaring the pitcher until 30 minutes or so before game time. This is why you will find a pitcher declared on the starting roster in a platoon position (often right field) very often in Central League games.

The Pacific League announces their pitchers the previous day. While that doesn't give you much time to plan a schedule, it does at least prevent the platooning pitcher in right.

Hanshin's current rotations looks something like Nohmi, Kubo, Andoh, Uezono, and Shimoyanagi with Fossum being thrown in when needed. As Nohmi pitched last night, I would expect to see Kubo tonight and Andoh on the 8th (with Fossum possibly thrown in either day on a whim).

Hope this helps.
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: Apr 7, 2010 5:00 PM | LOT Fan ]

Usually one can still predict who the pitchers will be except in the case of (perhaps) a #5 or #6 starter, or after a long break like the post-interleague break or the all-star break.

5-6 days ahead of time may be dodgy but 2-3 days ahead of time should be pretty reliable to guess.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Apr 8, 2010 9:01 AM ]

I'm hoping Tigers' starter will be Kojima tonight. I believe their current rotation is Andoh, Uezono, Shimo, Nohmi, Kubo, Kojima, as Fossum has started on 2-gun. However, the 6th spot got rained out in Hiroshima, so they skipped back to the fat toad Andoh, as they often do. Most teams use a 6-man rotation, so it used to be easier to predict starters, as there are generally 6 games a week. However, with the inter-league play schedule and frequent rain outs, it doesn't really work out that way. Anyway, as others said, when you buy tickets far in advance there's little chance of knowing the starters.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Apr 8, 2010 11:31 AM | NIP Fan ]

Yah, what the others said. Become a Pacific League fan and you can find the starters the night before. Which is at least useful to know which jersey to wear, if you have several.

Though yeah, by looking at the last few CL games you can at least get a decent guess of who will be the starter... but... it's still at the whim of the manager, some of whom are more crazy than others.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Apr 8, 2010 10:21 PM | CHU Fan ]

What did Nomura do when he managed the Eagles? I remember reading something about him not wanting to announce starting pitchers ahead of time.

I'd be interested in knowing if any manager in the CL is crazier than him...
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Apr 9, 2010 12:31 PM ]

Okada would often list one of his starting pitchers as a fielder and then replace him with the real fielder and starting pitcher at the start of the game. Just seemed a silly move that fooled no one, but I don't think he's the only one who does it. Teams pretty much have a set rotation, so don't know why he tried those antics.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Apr 9, 2010 2:33 PM ]

Old habits die hard? Teams used to not have quite a set rotation 20-30 years ago?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Apr 12, 2010 8:45 PM | NIP Fan ]

Wait, I didn't think that had anything to do with him fooling people about the starting pitchers or the rotation. I thought it was about platooning outfielders. So you start a pitcher in the outfield, and when you find out whether the opposing starting pitcher is left- or right- handed, you put the appropriate-batting fielder into the game there in place of the placeholding pitcher.

Since the PL announces their pitchers, the managers can just plan their lineup accordingly.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Apr 16, 2010 2:36 PM ]

Old habits die hard? Teams used to not have quite a set rotation 20-30 years ago?

Maybe a little longer ago, but you read stories that the Tigers, for example, would use their ace in all three games against the Giants. A more set 6-man rotation is a relatively recent phenomenon.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Apr 16, 2010 2:38 PM ]

- Wait, I didn't think that had anything to do with him fooling people about the starting pitchers or the rotation. I thought it was about platooning outfielders.

Yeah, that does make more sense. When I think of it, it was usually done with the right fielder, which is who the Tigers would have been platooning. I read somewhere that it was to hide the actual starting pitcher, but I always thought that sounded a little strange.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.