Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball in Japanese Culture

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Baseball in Japanese Culture
Read the FAQ, hoping this is still an acceptable question. If not, I completely understand. But I'm a high school student in a Modern Japan history elective and we have a current project where we must "plan a trip to Japan" using something as our driven purpose. Mine is baseball because
  1. I love it and
  2. I play myself.
What I am wondering is if I were to actually go on a trip centered around Japanese baseball, which stadiums and their cities are the landmarks worth seeing (like Fenway or Wrigley?). Also, to what significance is the pro team to a city; are the fans just as fervent about their teams like they are here in America or even more so? I can research the back grounds of these teams more, but who are the top three year-in-and-year-out best teams?

Thank you.
Comments
Re: Baseball in Japanese Culture
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 1, 2010 7:59 PM ]

Since no one has replied, will make some quick comments.

Although it's not the nicest stadium in Japan (as Fenway and Wrigley are not the nicest in America!), Koshien Stadium (home of the Hanshin Tigers) is probably the most famous landmark. Although the Giants are by far the most historically successful team in Japan, the Tokyo Dome is much less a landmark, considering its much shorter history. In addition to being the oldest stadium in Japan and home to one of the most popular teams, what makes Koshien a shrine for Japanese fans is it's also where the high school baseball tournament is held every spring and summer. Since you are a high school student (and baseball player) yourself, I highly recommend the DVD entitled "Koko Yakyu," which should be available on Amazon. It's a bit pricey for the length, but very well done.

Hope that's a little info to get you started.
Re: Baseball in Japanese Culture
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: May 2, 2010 10:19 PM | CHU Fan ]

If you haven't already, I'd recommend you read Deanna Rubin's blog, particularly these posts.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.