Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

NPB salaries?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
NPB salaries?
My students were asking me about differences between MLB and NPB salaries, so I wanted to confirm some information. Who is currently the highest paid player in Japan and what is his salary?

Before I think it was Kanemoto or Matsunaka, but I wasn't sure if that's still true.

Thanks for any help.
Comments
Re: NPB salaries?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 19, 2010 6:49 PM | YBS Fan ]

Here are the Top 10 Salaries for 2010:
+--------+----------------------+------+
| Salary | Name | Team |
| 6-oku | Lee, Seung-Yeop | YOM |
| 5 | Ramirez, Alex | YOM |
| 4.5 | Kanemoto, Tomoaki | HAN |
| 4.3 | Iwase, Hitoki | CHU |
| 4 | Matsunaka, Nobuhiko | SFT |
| 4 | Fujikawa, Kyuji | HAN |
| 4 | Johjima, Kenji | HAN |
| 3.8 | Ogasawara, Michihiro | YOM |
| 3.5 | Abe, Shinnosuke | YOM |
| 3.5 | Takahashi, Yoshinobu | YOM |

The units of currency are in oku yen, which is units of 100,000,000. That's the number you multiply by to get the total in JPY (Japanese Yen).

To convert to USD (U.S. Dollars), Google says that 6-oku yen is 6.6144 million U.S. dollars. (Please see link for exchange rate disclaimers and more information on exchange rates.)

Math is fun!
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 22, 2010 4:39 PM | HAN Fan ]

There are persistent rumours that Johjima's salary is actually five oku, but that the figure being released is "reduced" to avoid offending Kanemoto. He took a salary reduction on last year and so was not particularly pleased to find this out.
[ Author: AllenWakanaka | Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:39 AM | HAN Fan ]

From ESPN, Johjima's MLB salaries were:

Year-By-Year Salary
Contract Year   Salary
2006 $5,433,333
2007 $5,933,333
2008 $6,383,333
2009 $7,666,666

And he was in line for $15 million more over the last two years of his contract in Seattle due to that inexplicable extension.

When he signed with the Tigers it was rumoured to be for between 2 and 2.5 billion yen over four years, which makes him a 5 to 6.25 oku yen player divided evenly through four years. Depends on the figures I guess, a lot of the English media reported it at 21 million dollars which varies in yen weekly.

- http://www.npbtracker.com/2009/10/johjima-agrees-with-hanshin/

- http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2010148572_base28.html

- http://blog.seattlepi.com/print.asp?entryID=183336

- http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-4622675/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jaGluYXBvc3QuY29tLnR3L3Nwb3J0cy9iYXNlYmFsbC8yMDA5LzExLzE1LzIzMjg2OS9FeC1TZWF0dGxlLU1hcmluZXIuaHRt

Considering how it looked like he was squeezed out of Seattle to make room for Moore with 2 years and 15 million+ dollars left on his contract, I always imagined that his figure with the Tigers would factor, at least in part, to make up for his departure from Seattle.

Whatever the case, somehow I highly doubt he is sitting at 4 oku a year.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Jun 23, 2010 11:23 AM ]

Thanks for the helpful info. Surprised to see Lee is the top-paid player this year. Hasn't he been little more than a pinch-hitter the past couple seasons? Then again, the Giants can afford a 6-oku pinch hitter.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.