Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Industrial League(s): How do they Work?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Industrial League(s): How do they Work?
I have always been curious about how Industrial Teams work. How do people get on the teams? Is there just one league? Do they actually work for the company and then play baseball at night, or are they just hired to play baseball? Do they get paid? How? How much?

If anybody knows anything else I would love to learn!
Comments
Re: Industrial League(s): How do they Work?
[ Author: Guest: jason | Posted: Jul 7, 2010 8:57 AM ]

Nobody?
Re: Industrial League(s): How do they Work?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:51 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry for the late reply. I've been very busy of late with work and preparing for the local Matsuri this coming weekend.

My non-authoritative answer is that Industrial League teams are run similar to a professional team. They have active recruiters working to sign high school and college players. In a sense, it's like an independent minor league system.

Do the team members work for the company? Yes. It greatly depends on the company, but it's my understanding that most are office workers who get to leave early for baseball practice. I've also heard that many ball players work in sales for the life insurance companies. This is actually good training for some who turn pro, don't make it, then return to the companies as slightly famous sales representatives.

Do they get paid? Yes. Again, it depends on the company, but beyond the regular office worker salary, it is my understanding that some get signing bonuses and bonuses based on performance in the numerous tournaments that the teams participate in.

Of course, this is amateur baseball, even if it's run more professionally than some of the pro teams in Japan. So over the table, they get paid according to their job. How much money is passed under the table is anybody's guess.

Hope this helps.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.