Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kinds of Baseball Bats in Japan?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Kinds of Baseball Bats in Japan?
I just saw that composite bats are being outlawed in the US for high school baseball.

In the Japanese pro, college and high school leagues, what kinds of bats are allowed to be used? And what kinds do most players typically choose?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Kinds of Baseball Bats in Japan?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 16, 2010 11:21 PM ]

There is a section for the regulation of bats in the NPB rule book. I will not translate that because it's kind of long and complicated. Instead, since the article you linked is about high school baseball in Florida, I talk about its counterpart in Japan in plain language (as opposed to literal translation of the rule book).

According to the Japan High School Baseball Federation, metal bats are allowed. They are the most widely used bats in high school partly because the cost of broken wooden bats adds up. Each bat maker has to be approved by the Federation so the kind of "cheating" in the article is unlikely to happen in Japan.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jul 18, 2010 2:36 PM | HAN Fan ]

Nippon Professional Baseball uses only wooden bats. As infimum mentioned, the specifications are in the NPB rule book.
[ Author: Guest: Donald | Posted: Jul 23, 2010 12:46 AM ]

Thanks. Is there anywhere online I can find the rules books for Japanese Pro, College, Amateur, and High School Baseball leagues and whatever Softball leagues exist in Japan? In Japanese is fine.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jul 19, 2010 11:41 PM | NIP Fan ]

Hmm. I'm pretty sure that in all the games I've been to here, I've only seen metal bats in high school, and only wooden bats in college... but that's mostly drawing off my memories of like, high school boys with bright yellow metal bats, or having taken photos of guys splitting wooden bats on the college level.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.