Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Historical Significance of 6 Home Run Loss?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Historical Significance of 6 Home Run Loss?
It was intriguing to see the Dragons hit 6 home runs and still lose to the Tigers last night. I don't have the resources or Japanese language ability to find out for myself, but was wondering, when was the last time a team hit 6 home runs and still lost?

On a further note, and an even more intriguing anomaly, when was the last time a team gave up 6 home runs and went on to win while hitting no home runs themselves?

Thanks to anyone who might have access to these kinds of statistics.
Comments
Re: Historical Significance of 6 Home Run Loss?
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Aug 2, 2010 7:40 PM ]

What made this odd game even more intriguing is that until the 9th inning, those 6 home runs were the Dragons' only hits! Too bad they got those singles in the 9th to ruin that, but still quite a remarkable game.

You know things are going our way when we can win a game like that! You would think it was just one of those nights with the wind blowing out at Koshien, but even funnier that the Tigers scored 8 runs without a home run!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 2, 2010 11:51 PM ]

According to Sponichi, the last time is Aug. 5th, 1981. The Dragons (L) vs. the Giants (W) 8-10. Yesterday was the second time.

Your second question may become more interesting in the MLB because this is so rare in the NPB. For example, this game [Baseball-Reference] has 7 HRs by the Tigers, who managed to lose, and 5 HRs by the White Sox.
[ Author: Guest: Intrigued | Posted: Aug 3, 2010 9:21 AM ]

Thank you kindly for both replies. It certainly was a game for the ages and a great way for the Tigers to finish their home stand against a team very much on a tear at the moment.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 13, 2010 5:52 PM ]

Just a follow up for those who may be interested. Stat guru Mark Simon discussed this game on the ESPN baseball podcast dated Wed, August 11. Apparently no team in the history of the MLB has ever done what Hanshin did; ie win a game after giving up 6 home runs and not scoring one themselves. An extremely rare feat indeed.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 15, 2010 8:49 PM ]

Congrats on getting them interested in picking up your e-mail. Here is the link [ESPN] for those interested (about 2/3 into the August 11 show).

I wonder what the biggest deficit of HRs is for a winning team, not limiting it to zero HRs.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 18, 2010 12:14 AM ]

Oh, it wasn't my e-mail. I just regularly listen to the show and thought it was neat that a bit of J-ball got mentioned on this podcast. As a bit of a lurker on this site, I thought I would just follow up.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.