Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Translators for Foreign Players

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Translators for Foreign Players
Ozzie Guillen, the Venezuelan Chicago White Sox manager, raised a polemic discussion concerning the Japanese translators hired for MLB clubs to help Japan players to communicating in USA. He said Latin players were discriminated for not having translators in the big leagues. My question: Are translators contracted for foreign players playing in Japan?
Comments
Re: Translators for Foreign Players
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 10, 2010 7:33 AM ]

In the MLB, Japanese translators are part of individual players' contract. In the NPB, teams directly hire translators outside of individual players' contract. The language translated to may not be the first language of those players (e.g. Japanese to English for Spanish speaking players).
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Aug 10, 2010 8:22 AM | NIP Fan ]

I'm guessing someone else has answered this already and it's in the queue, but yes, there are tons of translators/interpreters working for the teams in Japan to support the foreign players. It's usually Japanese<->English, but teams like Chunichi often have Japanese<->Spanish translators as well -- Tony Blanco, for example, always does his hero interviews in Spanish. I know the Giants also had a Japanese<->Spanish translator, but right now I'm blanking on who it was for.

However, I have to admit I'm not sure whether it's a one-to-one translator-to-player thing or if there's just one or two guys assigned to work with all of the foreign players. The Fighters, for example, often have translators hanging out with the ni-gun team as well... and a few weeks ago YakyuBaka translated an article about how the Hanshin Tigers pretty much set up someone to be 24-hour translation support for the foreign players and their families.

However, a counterpoint to Guillen is that there are Latin players who have translators in the big leagues. I remember when Felix Hernandez first came up with the Mariners, he always had a translator with him at fan events, although that stopped after a year or two when he became more comfortable in English.

(...of course, before that, the Mariners had pitcher Shigetoshi Hasegawa, who was infamous for pretty much being a translator himself...)
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Aug 11, 2010 12:17 AM | HAN Fan ]

NPB teams assign translators to foreign players. Often, the translators are office workers pulled from the the team's "parent" corporation.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Aug 12, 2010 9:59 AM | HAN Fan ]

NPB teams provide translators who often come from within the workforce of each team's 'parent' company.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Aug 13, 2010 3:10 PM ]

And I believe that Japanese, Taiwanese, and Korean players who had to work their way up from the minors to reach MLB usually don't have translators. Gotta compare apples to apples.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.