Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Manager Ejections?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Manager Ejections?
When reading the news about Marty Brown being fired by Rakuten, it mentioned a "record 12 ejections." Is this the all-time record in Japanese baseball? It seems like a remarkably low number, compared to someone like MLB manager Bobby Cox (158 times)!
Comments
Re: Manager Ejections?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 1, 2010 6:55 AM ]

- Is this the all-time record in Japanese baseball?

Yes. Apart from cultural difference among umpires and managers, Japanese managers tend to have shorter tenures. Kazuto Tsuruoka has the longest (1946-68). (cf. Connie Mack 1901-50.)
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 2, 2010 6:42 PM ]

I also think the umps in MLB are treated with more respect. I remember Okada shoving an umpire a couple years back and getting like a 100,000 yen fine. That would be an automatic suspension in MLB. Considering this, ejections happen much more quickly in MLB.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 5, 2010 3:58 PM ]

Brown set that record in a remarkably short amount of time! What Japanese managers are high on that list? Any other managers renowned for their temper tantrums?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 5, 2010 11:17 PM ]

You are a fan of the Tigers and can't think of one in recent years?
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 6, 2010 11:44 AM ]

- You are a fan of the Tigers and can't think of one in recent years?

Yes, I know Hoshino could be a bit crazy, but not sure how many ejections he or others had.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 7, 2010 1:35 AM ]

Here are the managers you are looking for:
  1. 7 Sadayoshi Fujimoto
  2. 6 Shoichi Kaneda
  3. 6 Keiji Osawa
  4. 5 Senichi Hoshino
  5. 5 Akira Ohgi
  6. Looks like Hoshino is the next Rakuten manager. His counter will go up for sure.

By the way, Tuffy Rhodes, with no managerial experience, leads everyone with 14.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 7, 2010 10:06 AM | NIP Fan ]

Keiji Osawa just died this morning of what sounds like liver cancer (胆嚢癌). He was 78.

I guess is that means his total won't be going up.

My Fighters friends speak fondly of him, as he was the last manager before Trey Hillman to lead the Fighters to a Japan Series, in 1981.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 7, 2010 12:53 PM ]

It should be Keiji "Ohsawa." Let him rest in peace.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 8, 2010 4:57 PM ]

Wow, those are some really low totals. I'd like to say the reason is managers respect umpires more in NPB, but I don't think that's accurate. I think the umpires get less respect here and have to put up with more.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 8, 2010 5:03 PM ]

Speaking of Hoshino, it seems pretty underhanded what's happening at Rakuten. They had a bad year, but Marty's out and suddenly Hoshino wants to get back into managing? Nomura had it in for Marty from the beginning, so I'm sure he's delighted that his old crony is coming in to replace him. Nomura is still involved with Rakuten, right?

In any case, it will be fun to have Hoshino back in the game. It's just a shame that he might be going to Rakuten instead of replacing a certain moron running my favorite team!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.